Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

57 Running Processes on start up, computer about to explode, fan noise

• Please log in to reply

daba

daba

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Hi,

Is this the right place for this? If not, I apologise and hope you can send it where it belongs. Thank you.

I have a newish not quite a year old laptop and of late it's started overheating and autoshutdowning. Is 57 processes a lot? I have no idea but would be very grateful if an expert - I as I'm sure is obvious by now am totally ignorant of these matters - could give this list the once over and tell me which if any I could get rid of, and how. Very many thanks in advance.

Image Name PID Session Name Session# Mem Usage
========================= ====== ================ ======== ============
System Idle Process 0 Console 0 28 K
System 4 Console 0 296 K
smss.exe 680 Console 0 1,156 K
csrss.exe 728 Console 0 12,272 K
winlogon.exe 760 Console 0 1,796 K
services.exe 804 Console 0 13,280 K
lsass.exe 816 Console 0 1,764 K
ati2evxx.exe 1000 Console 0 15,184 K
svchost.exe 1020 Console 0 29,660 K
SZServer.exe 1056 Console 0 55,660 K
svchost.exe 1156 Console 0 30,440 K
svchost.exe 1260 Console 0 61,180 K
ati2evxx.exe 1332 Console 0 18,284 K
svchost.exe 1416 Console 0 29,064 K
svchost.exe 1532 Console 0 28,832 K
WLTRYSVC.EXE 1664 Console 0 8,064 K
BCMWLTRY.EXE 1676 Console 0 29,112 K
aawservice.exe 1684 Console 0 1,556 K
explorer.exe 492 Console 0 72,032 K
WLTRAY.EXE 1228 Console 0 36,252 K
stsystra.exe 1244 Console 0 32,100 K
CLI.exe 1252 Console 0 5,900 K
Apoint.exe 1356 Console 0 34,248 K
jusched.exe 1404 Console 0 31,484 K
SpywareTerminatorShield.E 1428 Console 0 29,068 K
avgnt.exe 1340 Console 0 1,500 K
Reminder.exe 1504 Console 0 36,512 K
dopvs.exe 1512 Console 0 39,208 K
ApMsgFwd.exe 1484 Console 0 10,356 K
ctfmon.exe 1572 Console 0 23,860 K
uTorrent.exe 1592 Console 0 38,092 K
hidfind.exe 1628 Console 0 13,032 K
msnmsgr.exe 1632 Console 0 4,020 K
ApntEx.exe 1648 Console 0 22,076 K
conime.exe 1908 Console 0 24,220 K
SpywareTerminatorUpdate.e 2208 Console 0 41,980 K
AWC.exe 2236 Console 0 67,868 K
wweb32.exe 2388 Console 0 24,680 K
spoolsv.exe 2468 Console 0 37,172 K
sched.exe 2552 Console 0 852 K
svchost.exe 3028 Console 0 30,976 K
avguard.exe 3244 Console 0 10,648 K
mDNSResponder.exe 3284 Console 0 24,092 K
schedule.exe 3388 Console 0 31,452 K
jqs.exe 3548 Console 0 1,412 K
MDM.EXE 3616 Console 0 25,040 K
RichVideo.exe 3796 Console 0 24,824 K
SeaPort.exe 3856 Console 0 34,572 K
sp_rsser.exe 3968 Console 0 11,076 K
stacsv.exe 4012 Console 0 18,716 K
svchost.exe 216 Console 0 31,828 K
CALMAIN.exe 372 Console 0 17,076 K
alg.exe 2792 Console 0 25,528 K
CLI.exe 4556 Console 0 4,912 K
opera.exe 5224 Console 0 162,972 K
taskmgr.exe 5384 Console 0 2,052 K
IObit SmartDefrag.exe 4364 Console 0 6,900 K
cmd.exe 2960 Console 0 25,296 K
wmiprvse.exe 4304 Console 0 33,632 K
tasklist.exe 1388 Console 0 4,620 K

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on start...run...type in MSCONFIG...press enter...click on start tab...
on a desktop you uncheck everything EXCEPT your ANTI VIRUS and firewall...on a laptop you have to be more selective or your touchpad ...wireless and things like that won't work...you will have to google each one and then decide what you can get rid of in the start up section....

these tweaks will speed you up some...
turn off indexing...click ...START...MY COMPUTER...right click on the hard drive...properties..uncheck allow indexing and compress drive...then click on OK...when it asks about subfolders say YES...it will take a little while to finish...

go to add/remove programs and get rid of anything you don't want or use
get rid of real player... Quicktime ...and Adobe reader
they are resource hogs...lower down I will give you the alternatives for them all..
get CCLEANER
To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you!Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Click on CCleaner to start it. Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

What JavaRa does is to check if your computer has the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
If the version you have installed has been superseded by a newer version the program will download and install this newer version for you, by running Java's update program.
JavaRa then allows you to remove all possible older versions of this program. This way it will ensure that the security of your PC is enhanced will create extra space on your hard disk....get it here

this replace's Adobe reader
Foxit Reader is a free utility that includes some tools that Adobe lacks, including a "typewriter" tool that lets you type text over any PDF, and edit any of the text they contain. not just files that have been set with form fields.
Foxit launches very quickly (in about one second) and it requires no installation... It allows you open, view, print, and change the page layout in PDF files. For some functions, such as the typewriter function, FoxIt Reader shows an ad for FoxIt Reader Pro. However, these functions still work with minor limitations.
get foxit reader

I highly recommend these alternatives to quicktime and real player..
they both are
- Quick and easy install..about 30 seconds..
- No background processes
- Low on resources
- Smaller size
QuickTime Alternative...QuickTime Alternative will allow you to play QuickTime files (.mov, .qt, .3gp and other extensions) without having to install the official QuickTime Player

Real Alternative.. will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer or RealOne Player.
==================================================================
Starting Disk Cleanup

* Click Start ... Programs... Accessories ... System Tools ... Disk Cleanup
OR
* In Windows Explorer or My Computer... right-click the disk in which you want to free up space... click Properties... click the General tab... and then click Disk Cleanup....

next get diskeeper lite here...
and Defragment Your Computer...click on the diskeeper icon...close the NAG screen...select the C drive if that's the drive your operating system is installed on...towards the bottom click on defrag..the first time you run it it could take 20 minutes or so...run it about every two weeks and it will only take about 5 minutes..YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE WHILE ITS DEFRAGGING...close it when your done...it will tell you how many fragmented files you had...give us that number when you reply..

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows....
you should time your computer before doing these and then again after doing the tweaks..

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Ok, found the reply box. Just to say thanks a lot. Done most of it. Some of it like CCleaner already using. A problem arose with removing Quicktime and replacing it. A thing flagged up saying that there was another program (itunes presumably) bundled with Quicktime which would have to be removed first. I can't remove itunes (unless there's a replacement for htat too?) so don't know how to progress on that one.

Something's still not right: another autoshutdown and overheat. Any ideas?

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Forgot to mention: the link to diskeeper lite didn't open. Finally find one that did but it's trialware. 30 days. I'm assuming you have a way of getting around that..

Plus JavaRa didn't open, couldn't find a link that did.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
get diskeeper lite here...its the free version
go here for javara
as for quicktime...sorry...the newest versions of itunes requires the standard quicktime ...the older ones worked fine with the alternative...
go here and download Everest Home Edition 1.51...launch it and click on the + beside computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it for us...
NOTE for those of you that have other newer versions of EVEREST HOME ...I highly recommend you get version 1.51
it has a software section that include what versions of the software installed and all the updates/patches you have installed that the newer versions of Everest do not have...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem with Foxit reader is that in order to have the options which cannot be used in Adobe reader you have to agree to install their toolbar. In addition the program leves a big, ugly, message on your document that looks like the attached file.

I used it for sometime then removed it and went back to Adobe reader.

Attached Files

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Thanks. Javara at softpedia link does not open. Go the Diskeeper. I currently use Smartdefrag. Is that ok?
The screenshot (tried my best to do it, you'll need to magnify)is attached.

Thanks again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The problem with Foxit reader is that in order to have the options which cannot be used in Adobe reader you have to agree to install their toolbar. In addition the program leves a big, ugly, message on your document that looks like the attached file.

not so at all ...there is no toolbar on my system and I can copy text right from any PDF...
its actually only meant to be a reader for PDF's...if you need a PDF creator thats a different thing altogether...that would be what their paid version will do and even it does not require a toolbar...
or you can get PDFCreator ...its open source ...get it here

I just tried the link for javara again and it worked for me but you can get the newest version
here and go to the add/remove programs in the control panel and uninstall all the old versions manually if you can't download javara...

everest is only showing the HD temp...probably will not be any better but lets try speedfan here for the temps and voltages...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Convinced me, happyrock. Will give it another chance.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Convinced me, happyrock. Will give it another chance.

I personally don't need to create PDF's ever...I just need to be able to open and read them and foxitreader is just fast...no muss no fuss it just opens them in about a second...and you can click on tools...select text..box anything you want to copy and then right click on the section you highlighted and select copy to clipboard and then copy text and post it in emails or notepad or whatever you use...you can also click on snapshot from the tools menu and highlight the picture you want and then save it using paint...I use it all the time to grab instructions from bios manuals that are generally PDF's and send them to clients...

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What I need most is a PDF reader with copy and paste and highlighting options, which are not available on Adobe free. I'll give Foxit another chance. Thanks.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Conflicting voices are starting to get to me - a little. I followed the last chap's advice and removed foxitreader. Seems I needn't have done that. I removed the older version 15 or Java and tried to install 16. I got this message: Error 25099: Unzipping core files. So now I have no Java and no apparent way to get it. I googled for a fix but found nothing.

Temp1 54C on Speedfan. If it helps at all it seems to be connected with applications which need lots of RAM like Lightroom but not exclusively that prog. If I'm doing a scan it can autoshutdown too.

I should have taken my mate's advice and got a Mac instead of this Dell.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try getting java here
when you have it installed go here to see if its working

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: The problem with the computer could be as simple as clogged air inlets which should be cleaned with compressed air (carefully).

2: The number of running processes is only partly relevant. It could help if we knew under what circumstances the computer is overheating: Is it even when idling (no updates downloading, no AV scans etc.)? Is it when working any specific program that you use frequently? etc.

3: How full is the hard disk? Did you run defrag lately?

4: How much RAM do you have in your computer? Go to Task Manager > Performance and report, under Physical Memory (k), what is Total and what is Available.

5: In Task Manager > Processes, report System Idle Processes. It should be above, say, 95%. Watch it for a minute and assess the average.

5: I Don't remember if you mentioned whether the computer is significantly slower then it used to be.

6: Download Everest from the link in my list below. Click Computer > Sensor and let the table fill up. Report temperatures and voltages that are reported.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
1: The problem with the computer could be as simple as clogged air inlets which should be cleaned with compressed air (carefully).
I doubt it but will try it anyway. Like I said, it's when there's a considerable load placed on memory. For example when using lightroom or picasa (I have thousands of photos). Another time would be when doing a full scan on adaware or spybot or something. Or when watching a streaming movie.
2: The number of running processes is only partly relevant. It could help if we knew under what circumstances the computer is overheating: Is it even when idling (no updates downloading, no AV scans etc.)? Is it when working any specific program that you use frequently? etc.

3: How full is the hard disk? Did you run defrag lately? C:Free 11.5, Total 97, D:48 Free, 68 Total, E:9.5 66 Total. Yes, every week.

4: How much RAM do you have in your computer? Go to Task Manager > Performance and report, under Physical Memory (k), what is Total and what is Available. Total 1963960 Avail: 1085000

5: In Task Manager > Processes, report System Idle Processes. It should be above, say, 95%. Watch it for a minute and assess the average. Don't understand this. What should be above 95% please?

5: I Don't remember if you mentioned whether the computer is significantly slower then it used to be. No depends on the local usage LAN.

6: Download Everest from the link in my list below. Click Computer > Sensor and let the table fill up. Report temperatures and voltages that are reported. 39 and 102. It's not hot now cos I'm neither running Lightroom, nor Picasa nor doing a scan or watching streaming. This should be in dark blue. Hope it worked.

--------------------