Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

57 Running Processes on start up, computer about to explode, fan noise

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please clean the air inlets. Other then that I see that your hard disk's partitions are quite full. Most important is C to which the CPU approach most frequently. It needs at least 15% free space to run properly. The cpu works very hard when the disk is full, this leads to overheating. Defragmantation helps only a little when the disk is so full. It could help if you could clear some space.

Laptops overheat easily. They have very small fans and the manufacturers do everything possible to reduce current consumption to prolong battery usage and keep the computer small. Under this circumstances I would suggest the following in addition to vents cleanup and volume reduction:

1: Reduce to minimum the programs in Startup Menu. Click Start > Run. Type: msconfig and press Enter. Check Selective Mode and click Startup. Uncheck everything which is not essential (AV,for example)click OK and reboot. Please do not uncheck items that are required to the normal operation of the computer (touch pad, wireless etc.)

2: Make sure that there is enough space below the computer and that there is free circulation around it. You may lift it up a little on books or something to ensure enough space at the bottom.

3: Consider buying one of those special devices that have fans that cool the bottom of the laptop when you place it on the device.

Advertisements

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Thanks a lot for that. I'm an expat and to keep in touch a bit with the UK I often download TV progs from uknova. So now I've moved that quite sizeable file to D:. I'll also action your other suggestions. Actually I'd already discussed about buying one of those fan things with my missus. Appreciate your help. Cheers.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
you're welcome.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
You wrote: 'Check Selective Mode and click Startup. Uncheck everything which is not essential (AV,for example)click OK and reboot. Please do not uncheck items that are required to the normal operation of the computer (touch pad, wireless etc.)' I have no idea what is essential and what is not, nor could I find AV. So couldn't do this step, sorry.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
You wrote: 'Check Selective Mode and click Startup. Uncheck everything which is not essential (AV,for example)click OK and reboot. Please do not uncheck items that are required to the normal operation of the computer (touch pad, wireless etc.)' I have no idea what is essential and what is not, nor could I find AV. So couldn't do this step, sorry.

Ez2c

Ez2c

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello

may i help assist you , This is important as it reduces wasted resources from the point of start up

once again go to Start > Run. Type: msconfig and press Enter. Check Selective Mode and click Startup Tab

Take a screen shot and attach on next reply

If you do not know how to take a SS simply hold Ctrl and press PrtScn Key ( on keyboard ) then open paint and press and hold Ctrl and press V, Save to known location Eg: desktop and attach to next reply

We will let you know what is safe to remove, you will just need to let us know more information about the computer, eg: make , manufacturer & Model

More information can be found on the case of the computer, or below ( bottom of laptop )

And also

Start > Right click " My computer " , Select Properties and ensure " General " tab is selected

Report back System and Computer information , Registration Information is not required to assist you

Best of luck !

Ez2c

PS: i am also requesting this as You never reported back RAM Amount :)