Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which network adapter is my laptop using?

• Please log in to reply

GenBullmoose

GenBullmoose

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am using Vista Ultimate 32 bit version, Service Pack 2. I was looking in the Device Manager to see what kind of Network Adapter I'm using and if there is some program that lets me configure it. In the Device Manager, under "Network Adapters", there are 2 listed. They are:

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

The Properties boxes on both say that they are both working properly and that there are no conflicts.
But my question is, how do I know which one is being used?
Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why do you need to configure it?
There's nothing need changing.

If you're on the internet with no cables connected, you're probably wireless, the Intel one.

GenBullmoose

GenBullmoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you, Neil, you answered my question! I was too thick to see that both are working. One is wireless and one is for wired connections. Thank you for clarifying that for me!

You are correct, I don't need to configure them, but I wanted to "look underneath" to find out more about them. But the main question I had was "which one is working?", and you answered that.

I appreciate your outstanding help!

gregzeng

gregzeng

• Pip
  • 3 posts
At this moment, I have two wireless LANs and one ethernet (rj45) working simultaneously. There are another 6 wireless LANs nearby, but they are password protected, so of no use to me.

If I move rooms, the RJ45 is disconnected, so I'm stuck to two slow-speed WLANs - one of which is my own, several metres from me.

In bed or toilet, I simultaneously use my WLAN SMARTPHONE. My laptop is always on; software updating, bit-torrent Linux distributions, etc.