Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Crossfire

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hey guys, quick question.
If you've got two ATI graphics cards and a crossfire-capable mobo and PSU, is there ever really a reason NOT to crossfire them?
For example, if you paired a 4890 with a 3850, would it actually slow things down instead of speeding them up?
Also, what about DirectX versions? If you pair a dx10-compatible card with one that only supports up to dx9, will this cause any problems, or will the dx9 card simply "shut off" during use with dx10 applications?

I ask because I have a 4870 and am considering purchasing a 4890 for crossfire. I know the 5000 series is due soon, though, which will be necessary for dx11 support if I understand correctly. So, if I go through with this purchase, I would like to be able to pair the 4890 with a later 5000-series card, so that I don't feel like I wasted money on this upgrade.

Thanks!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You can pick up a 5850 or 5870 right now!
They are more powerful (most of the time) than even than a 4870 X2.
Released a little less than a week ago.
http://www.newegg.co.......amp;x=0&y=0
MSI's card just came out... I like the Asus one.

If you've got two ATI graphics cards and a crossfire-capable mobo and PSU, is there ever really a reason NOT to crossfire them?
For example, if you paired a 4890 with a 3850, would it actually slow things down instead of speeding them up?

I am not so sure if you can even do that.