Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer powering off by itself

• Please log in to reply

Tom_hutchison

Tom_hutchison

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) For no apparent reason my computer is powering off all be itself typically at the most inconvenient times (e.g. burning disks), but also at random intervals.

After it does so it will somehow repeat this a few times upon trying to reboot.

This is a recent phenomena and it continues even though I have reformatted my har drive and re-installed my software.

I don't. see any evident problems with ther hardware (fansa re running) and don't believe it has anything to do with overheating anyway.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
How old is the computer? It could be power related, heat, bad motherboard (power circuits caps blown).

Normally, if the computer just shuts down, it's either heat or power.

What are the computer specs? If it's an OEM computer (dell, hp, etc), what's the full model number?

dave04045

dave04045

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, well there are two possible problems -
A faulty power supply
A faulty fan.
A faulty power supply could cause problems like automatically rebooting.
A fan could cause the computer to overheat and shut down. I need you to feel the back of the computer and feel if there is a lot of heat coming out of the back. If so, try and replace the fan.