Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot Install Skype

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there

I've been using Skype with no problems for a few years. A few months ago I noticed it wouldn't let me upgrade to the latest version (I think 4.1). It kept coming up with "Cannot remove Skype 4.1" "Error code 1603". I then uninstalled my existing Skype by deleting all references to it on the C drive, and removing all the registry entries by using a registry cleaner. I had to do this as it wasn't listed in "Add/Remove programs" in my Control Panel.

I then tried to install Skype from scratch from Skype.com, but it comes up with the same error during installation, "Cannot remove Skpye 4.1" "Error code 1603". So now I don't have skype at all on my system. The version I had been using was fine.

I've been in touch with Skype Technical Support for about 3 weeks, and they've suggested a few things, none of which have worked, and they're still working on it (apparently).

Today, I've just noticed that Skype 4 is now listed in my "Add/Remove Programs", last used on 12 Feb 09. When I try to uninstall it says "The feature you are trying to use is on CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert Skype 4 disk and press OK"

Obviously, I don't have a disk.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm on XP SP3

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Just had an email from Skype Technical Support, they suggested I try Revo Uninstaller since it now appears in Add/Remove Programs.

At first it had the same error message, but then it went on to delete certain registry entries. It has worked absolutely fine, and now I've re-installed Skype 4.1 and it works!!!

Kind regards