Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need a mother board

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
hi i have a dell vostro 1700 xp laptop,that needs a mother board.....its done----i need some assistance in finding a replacement board,where to look for this item?
thanks for your help
ron

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Laptop boards are expensive, unique and you're unlikely to get one except from Dell. The cost of a one-off item can be more than a replacement laptop. Therefore it's probably not worth it.

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
^^ What Neil said.

But having said that, if you really want to spend the money and replace the board and you can't find anything on NewEgg or similar sites, you can try eBay. Check out this Search. There's some boards apparently sealed in original packaging available for under $300.

I often get laptop parts from eBay. It's worth pointing out you need to make sure the seller has a good rating, legal shipping policies (anyone who refuses to take any responsibility for lost or damaged packages and requires you to pay for insurance is not complying with US Vendor Shipping codes) and takes PayPal (should anything go wrong and the seller will not respond, you can contest payment through PayPal within 30 days).

So far, I've done well there with no real problems. The oldest repair I did was almost 2 years ago, and the lappy is reportedly running just fine.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can get one here for $400.00...but if you add another hundred bucks or so you can get a brand new system