Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply

tyhudg

tyhudg

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have an acer aspire 3620 that has been sitting in my closet for a while because a few months ago i went to turn it on, and it simply failed to start up. What happens is the green light turns on for a split second that says the power is 'on' then it immediatly goes out and the yellow charging light turns on. At no point do the hard drives, fans, or screen ever turn on. If i take the battery out and try to start it it does the same thing except the charge light doesen't turn on(obviously). Im guessing the problem could be a number of different things, but if anyone has any idea of what the specific problem may be i would appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance!!(Although it may be irrelevant since this is likely a hardware issue, this computer has Windows XP and not windows Vista like it says on the left)

Edited by tyhudg, 30 September 2009 - 05:18 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this could be just about anything....could be the power supply (either the cord or the one inside the machine), could be the motherboard, could be just about anything... laptops are pretty hard to trouble shoot with issues like this because it's not very easy to just swap out parts till you find the culprit...

is the machine under warranty?

tyhudg

tyhudg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Unfortunatley it is not under warranty. I purchased the laptop from my employer when they outfitted the company with new systems. After doing a bit of research i did come across some interesting information however. The power cord that came with the computer is an HP(i beleive intended for the DV9000 series because it is EXACTLY the same as the cord i use for my DV9033, with the HP logo and everything and i beleive it was hastily swapped out with one of the companies office HP's when the old one bit the dust prior to my purchasing)and i know for certain that the power cord works, i swapped it out with my stock power cord for my HP to test it. I am assuming that this is likely the major contributing factor in my problem. Could using the incorrect power cord fry the motherboard, or what other serious problems could this ahve caused? Thanks again!!