Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't boot my comp.

• Please log in to reply

twistedblood

twistedblood

• Pip
  • 2 posts
when i try to boot my laptop i get one of 2 errors. the first is a small pop-up saying "lsass.exe" in the title and "The application (maybe process) has failed to load properly." then my laptop completely shuts down (doesn't do a restart). the other error says (again) "lsass.exe" but the text this time is basically the same but gives a random memory location too.

i belive that i'm runing XP SP3 and not SP2, and the laptop is a sony vaio pcg 7L1L. i haven't yet tried booting in safe mode because ever since the error started the comp stopped recognizing any keyboard (built in or otherwise) during the boot-up. i can only get to the screen that gives the option for booting in safe mode by interrupting the boot-up by unplugging and removing the battery. Even then, without the keyboard working i can't actually tell it to boot in safe mode. I've also tried booting from a cd, but that requires "press any key to boot from disc..." so no luck there.

the final crazy part of this all... the laptop won't boot at home or any of my friend's houses, but 2 of the 3 times i tried it in my college classes it has. so any ideas?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi twistedblood...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
try this...go here..download the following file: rc.iso....

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
remove the rc.iso cd and reboot...

twistedblood

twistedblood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I tried that, but no dice. The bios requires me to "press any key to boot from cd....." and the keyboard isn't working so I can't tell the comp to boot/run the iso disc.

[edit]: not sure why, but it just worked this time (4th try after putting the disc in). so now i'm running the disk check. thank you for your help. i'll post any errors here if i can't figure out what it's asking.

Edited by twistedblood, 01 October 2009 - 04:43 PM.

dEadERest

dEadERest

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi twistedblood...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
try this...go here..download the following file: rc.iso....

<<snip>>

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...

Hi all, thanks for this resource.

At this point I get a BSoD,

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000007E

*** pci.sys - Address F786B0BF

. . . back to looking for solutions, I'll chack back, Thank you =)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
don't quote what I posted...it only slows things down
disconnect any extras you have connected to the computer...printers scanners ect...
then lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here..
get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd (using burncdcc)and then boot it from the cd drive...
make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

let memtest run for at least 3 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have
to replace the RAM...no errors after 3 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other
tests..

dEadERest

dEadERest

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Memtest86+ running now, ty

dEadERest

dEadERest

• Pip
  • 5 posts
no errors found . .

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how long did you let it run....it hasn't been 3 hours since I posted for you to run it...
have you tried booting into safe mode...as soon as you power up the computer start tapping the F8 key about once per second...if you get to the safe mode screen select safe mode with networking...
if you can't even boot into safe mode you WILL have no choice but to repair xp...the lowdown is here or a complete reinstall of xp...

dEadERest

dEadERest

• Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for your help, HR.
Yes, I ran it for 3 hours.
No, I cannot boot in safe mode. *sigh*

into xp repair now, will report results

dEadERest

dEadERest

• Pip
  • 5 posts
after repair exercise, booted to a black screen with working pointer, no drive activity :)
running repair again

put a fork in it, won't boot in safe mode either

Edited by dEadERest, 19 October 2009 - 01:31 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
dEadERest You hijacked the post from twistedblood.
That makes resolving your issue and the other issue very difficult.
Anyone following this post, including the poster will become confused.
Even though your issue may look similar, the resolution can be different.

Please start your own post.

Happyrock, did you think it was the same poster? Just curious.

123runner

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Happyrock, did you think it was the same poster? Just curious.

yep