Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application will only run for user who installed it

• Please log in to reply

mickask

mickask

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have a problem I am trying to resolve for a customer, and it is as follows

There is an application that will only launch for the User who installed it. Any other User who logs into the PC and tries to launch receives an error stating 'Unable to start Clinical Interface'. Please bear in mind that the application is being called using an option from within another generic application, and the error message quoted is specific to the application (not a Windows message). The application is installed as per the same installation spec for multiple other customers who do not experience this problem, which is leading me to believe it may be a Windows permissions issue of some sort for this one customer.

The PC is part of a Windows Server 2003 domain using Active Directory, is it possible that either the PC (bear in mind that this happens on all PC's at the same customer site) or the User accounts have an option set within Active Directory that is causing this to happen?

A point to note though is that all users can launch all other applications regardless of who installed it.

Can anyone throw any light on this for me, I will be very much appreciative if you can?

Many thanks
Mick

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

The PC is part of a Windows Server 2003 domain using Active Directory, is it possible that either the PC (bear in mind that this happens on all PC's at the same customer site) or the User accounts have an option set within Active Directory that is causing this to happen?

that's definitely possible there are a multitude of things that you can do with group policy that can cause programs not to run

you could check and see what level the user in question is at on the PC....if they're anything less than a power user...try changing their account to be a member of the power user account and see if the app runs after you do that

mickask

mickask

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, thank you for this reply. I will check this out and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again