Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

using old hard drive as a portable

• Please log in to reply

jjmdos

jjmdos

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have two computers. One stopped working. I wasnt sure if it was the hard drive or the mother board, ect. So I bought an adapter to plug in the usb port on the pc that works, so that I could retrive some of the info, and it worked. My ? is it has windows xp, does it have to stay on there or and I remove it. Thanks for all of the help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're going to use the old drive as storage only from now on then you can delete the windows folder and any other non-data folders that you want off of the drive...it won't hurt anything

jjmdos

jjmdos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok. How would I go about doing that. Thanks.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
easist method is to right click my computer, then click explore. Click on the drive you want to take the files out of. Any folders you don't need, just right click on it and click on delete. If you want to delete the folder and not send it to the recycle bin, hold the shift key down while clicking on the folder and clicking on delete.

SRX660