Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed Windows Service Pack 3 Now Windows won't load past Windo

• Please log in to reply

sirdanceal0t

sirdanceal0t

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay, so here's the deal. I had Windows Service Pack 2. Everything was just lovely, then I decided to FINALLY upgrade to Service Pack 3 because some high end Adobe products I was installing suggested it for better compatibility. Aiesh, so I took the plunge and tried to upgrade to Windows Service Pack 3. I was smart because of all the horror stories though and did a full backup up all my data including system state, etc. I set a system restore point, the whole nine yards. I upgraded with no problems but when the computer restarted it do so, got past POST, and the windows boot or load screen popped up with the loading bar. . . but windows never loaded! A lot of people report having problems where it get's past the windows load screen and just keeps cycle rebooting. Or it'll load to the user selection screen/welcome screen. This is not me, I am simply stuck at the windows load screen. (Picture below for reference)
Posted Image

So, I booted into safe mode with networking, searched for help EVERYWHERE and couldn't find any. -=/ By the way, I could boot into safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, and safe mode with networking. So I used my system restore point that had made before the SP3 upgrade and now I am typing to you from the comfort of my Service Pack 2. But this ticks me off because I want SP3 on my system for the sake of those Adobe programs and just because I can't get the dern thing on there it bugs me. Does anyone have a suggestion for me as to WHAT is stopping me from have a healthy running version of Windows Service Pack 3?

I ran the Service Pack 3 install/upgrade as an Administrator, in safe mode, with ANY program/thing that could possibly affect it not running. I thought I had all my bases covered but apparently not. Any help/suggestions? It'd be nice for all the other people out there who are having this same problem to get an answer as well. :)
P.S. I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 (hopefully SP3 soon). :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Is this a HP machine by any chance?
If it is, there's a hotfix on HP's website that stops a blue screen occuring when you install SP3 onto a machine that's running the original installation it came with.

sirdanceal0t

sirdanceal0t

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Is this a HP machine by any chance?
If it is, there's a hotfix on HP's website that stops a blue screen occuring when you install SP3 onto a machine that's running the original installation it came with.

Nope. -=/ It's a Dell, and it has an Intel processor, not an AMD one. Thanks though!