Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Modem

• Please log in to reply

montowi102

montowi102

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer is about 3 years old. Last year during a severe thunderstorm, my modem went out. AOL sent me an external modem-an Actiontec 56K. The problem is, I am only connecting at 28K thru this modem. On our other computer-which has an internal modem- we are connecting at 48K. I am assuming it has to be the modem that is causing me to connect so slow. Any suggestions? Should I buy a new modem? I don't want to pay an arm and a leg, but I would like something that will connect faster. I have seen a couple external modems, but they all mention a PCI slot. I have no idea what that is or if I have one. Can someone please help me?

[email protected]

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Not sure why aol should send you a replacement modem - that's some deal you must have there ;)

Given the model name of the modem you mention, sounds like it should connect at 56K. So, have you got the right drivers installed, did the modem come with it's own CD?

Have a look in Device Manager (right-click My Computer -- Properties -- Device Manager (assuming 98, you didn't say what OS you're using). Is the correct modem listed or is it just described as a plug and play modem 28K or something like that?

If there's an exclamation mark or question mark, the right drivers are not installed.

Assuming you got the right drivers on the CD (or floppy?) which came with modem, do this:

1. Click on the incorrect modem listed in device manager (even if it's correct modem, but has exclamation mark next to it) and click remove -- OK -- at prompt.

Restart your system and New Hardware wizard should start when windows detects your modem. When prompted, click on Have Disk, and then Browse to the correct location of your driver. Note: the CD will probably contain numerous drivers, make sure you select the right one for your device and operating system! You'll need to restart your pc.

2. If you've got a CD, insert it into the drive, and autorun may display a graphical friendly user interface, instead of going through above proceedure.

Another thing to check, Start -- Settings -- Control Panel -- Modem

Click on the modem listed, click Properties and use the scroll down list to select 115200 connection speed.

Make sure your dial-up networking connection is configured for your new modem.

As far as PCI goes (that's Periphal Component Interconnect) and that means it's an internal modem. Those are the slots on your main board which all your other stuff is likely plugged into - eg sound card, video card etc..

Is your external modem a serial device?

External modems are cool, and not expensive -- plus, major bonus -- you can use them with Linux, unlike cheap and cheerful internal win or soft modems :tazz:

DaveB - LinuxWannabee ;)

montowi102

montowi102

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm not sure why AOL sent me a modem, they were trying to be nice i guess :tazz:

Ok, I went those steps and the drivers are all in order. The speed was already set to what you said so i left it alone. By the way, I have XP. So I guess its just a poor modem. And yes, it is a USB/Serial external modem. So I will just keep looking for another one.

thanks for the info about the PCI slot. I won't mess with anything inside the computer, god only knows how much i will mess it up. We are taking it in to have a newer video card put in- our sucks. So maybe we can do other stuff too.

Thanks for all the help.

mrmstt

mrmstt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Why would AOL send you a free modem? Get AOL to send you a free modem!

The following modems are not "compatible" with aol service. They normally work but if there is a lot of disconnections AOL will blame it on the modem. And this is the only time (to my knowlege) they can send you a free one.

Conexant AC-Link 56K
Compaq Presario 56K
Rockwell (Generic) V.34
(the list is not necesserily complete)

What does that mean for you? If you have one of these modems AOL will send you a free modem. All you have to do is connect to aol using your modem a few times so they have a record of you using one of these things. Then you call their tech support number and complain that you get disconnected. It may take them a while but theoretically they should end up sending you a free modem. Or at least this was the case as of 2005. Remember you have to connect to aol using this modem first. If the tech does not have a record of you using it they will not do it.

Ofcourse knowing the inconsistency of aol tech support it may take you a few calls and if you encounter a weak tech you can probably bluff them into sending you a modem anyway. Be like, "my neighbors modem went out because of thunderstorm and you send him one, now my modem went out and I demand to talk to your supervisor so you can send me one too"

Have fun.