Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PM's & sent mail

• Please log in to reply

traveler818

traveler818

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Hi Troy,

I checked with AT&T and they said my connection is Broadband. They also said DSL and Broadband are the same sort of? So I'm confused, but hopefully that is the answer you are looking for. They also told me that the router is in my modem (2wire). The computer is a Gateway wifi laptop.

Typing is still slow on this site, FYI.

How do I post a link to another forum?

I have a new problem that should probably go to the malware forum. 2 days ago, my C drive was running between 160-200MB of space left with daily diskcleans, often several times a day at the computer's prompting. I had deleted my browsing history to get that much (Before it was 60-90MB). I don't know how to delete cache's, or if I should. And then there are shadow copies. Should I delete them? If so, how? By deleting a lot of emails, I went from 0 to 17MB. I will keep deleting emails. I also have numerous screenshots of the phishing sites I was aware of (for evidence). Thanks go to Happyrock for teaching me how to use the snipping tool. I don't know how much space the screenshots take. Hopefully the library will let me check the DVD onto which I copied them. If I can read the DVD there, then I can safely delete them from my computer to gain more space. At one point, I couldn't see the screenshots because I didn't have enough space left.

I had to uninstall all but the essentials (I consider WOT essential, but could uninstall that if need be). What remains are probably program files. If I don't know what it is, I don't uninstall it. The concern is that with 17MB, I doubt I can download anything to do the malware cleanup. I am considering getting a USB drive. I don't know what it is, or how to use it, but I think it will help. Hopefully the seller can help with that. If not, what forum would those questions go to?

Last, I want to take Microsoft's advice to close out my email accounts, but don't know much about what's out there. I can create new ones in yahoo, hotmail, and gmail, but I need 2 more. I cannot use Windows Live. I have the error message written down if needed. So I still hope that Happyrock is willing to post that email link again (the whole post would be even better). I don't know the difference between a blue link and a green link. Only that the first time I clicked on the green emails link, I saw a list of emails. The next time, I only pointed my cursor at the link, saw the Verizon ad pop up, and the link disappeared (on all 4 green links in that post). After the 4th link, the whole post disappeared.

Will OpenDNS require a minimum number of megabytes?

I once wrote computer manuals, even one for programmers, but that was pre-internet. I am so lost in this world. And so grateful for all the volunteers on this site for what you do. I know I'm not alone in being clueless.

I will try to check back here tomorrow ie the DNS question, and whether the other questions can be answered here or in another forum.

Thanks again (a lot). I still had your link so I was able to report the scam, and the OpenDNS is something I really want, and never heard of. You guys are the best!

Live long and prosper,

Traveler818 :)

Edited by traveler818, 14 October 2009 - 09:45 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I had a look on the OpenDNS webpage, they have specific instructions for 2Wire modems so you're in luck! Follow the instructions here and see how you go with it:

https://www.opendns....rt/device/2wire

In case you haven't already, you'll need to create a free account so you can change the settings to be what you want them to be.

You know, I think I'm going to have a look and see if I can find a how-to guide on setting up an OpenDNS account. It's fairly easy to do, but some people would appreciate it with a direct how-to complete with step-by-step instructions. If I can't find a good one, I might just have to go ahead and make one.

OpenDNS is completely free and does not require a minimum usage as far as I'm aware.

For the post happyrock wrote, if you can't find it, I suggest sending him a quick PM asking him what you need.

Cheers

Troy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you started a topic in the malware forum yet...it does us no real good to keep plugging along here until you get a clean bill of health from the malware team

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I should think setting up OpenDNS would be a big help, obviously the system cleanout is urgent as well.