Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! My laptop is infected BAD

• Please log in to reply

djg416

djg416

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently got a new dell laptop with Vista. I downloaded a file online that said it was for creating ringtones for your phone, but when it got done downloading and I clicked run that's about the time I got infected. My desktop background changed to a blue screen that said. Warning you're in danger! your computer is infected with spyware! All you do with computer is stored forever in your hard disk. when you visit sites send emails all you actions are logged. It says a bunch of other stuff and then at the bottom it says "secure yourself right now! remove all spyware from you pc!" A program then popped up called "windows smart security" and started scanning my computer saying I had 30 infections and I needed to activate windows smart security in order to delete them. The thing is I never installed a program called windows smart security. I tried looking for the program online and it doesn't seem to exist. When I go to activate it it asks for credit card information. I think this all came from the malware that infected my computer. I already have another type of malware protection. When I go to run it an error message comes up that says "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." So i installed a couple other free antivirus, antispyware, anti malware programs, including the ones in the malware cleaning part of this site, but when I try to run any of them I get the same error message. After a while I got frustrated and shut the computer off. Now when I turn it back on it takes much longer than usual to load. When I click on my one and only user account, instead of windows explorer running normally, all I see is a black screen and my documents folder. I can navigate to where there is a shortcut to windows explorer and get it running, but it will not run at startup. When I first start windows explorer everything looks normal, except the links to my anti-spyware don't work. Then after a couple minutes the same Blue background replaces my normal background and the "windows smart security runs again". Also my computer will randomly freeze and just shut down now on it's own. I don't know a ton about computers but I've done a lot of experimenting. I get an error message when I try to run system restore. I tried running in safe mode and I don't get the "windows smart security" to come up but I still get the error messages when i try to do anything to fix my computer. I don't know what to do. HOW AM I GOING TO GET THIS CRAP OFF MY LAPTOP? Please help. My computer is new so I don't mind losing all my personal files.

Advertisements