Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Looking for a free partition/data recovery softwre

• Please log in to reply

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hi,

I've recently lost a partition on one of my drive (thank you windows!). I've managed to access the partition & see the files using GetDataBack, so the partition is quite recoverable. But the trial version does not allow you to actually touch those files.... so I need a free one that could be trusted.

As always,
SOADA

Advertisements

-= Arc =-

-= Arc =-

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Here are some that I know:

(1) Easeus Partition Master Home Edition 4.0.1
Size: 8.43 MB
Price: Free
Compatibility: Windows Vista, Windows 2000, Windows XP

(2) Partition Logic 0.61
Size: 3.46 MB
Price: Free
Compatibility: Windows 95, Windows Me, Windows 3.x, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 98

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Thanks!

It seems I have another problem.... the recovery software apparently manages to see the disk I wanna recover the partition from, but only if Windoze sees it first. And, for some reason, although the disk is listed at computer boot (recognized by the BIOS), windows would not acknowledge its existence. Well, once, today, it did. Now it won't.

The problematic disk (my current OS (XP) is installed on a separate physical disk, of course) has 3 primary ntfs partitions that are more of less OK, and an extended partition with an ext3 logical partition and another ntfs logical partition. The logical ntfs partition appears as unallocated spaces (when windows condescends to see it).

This debacle has to do with a windows update that BSODed on me a couple of days ago, on my previous XP installation that was made to the problematic disk (before it had become problematic, of course). So, my question: how can I approach this problem? How can I make the disk visible to windoze? I'm pretty confident it is physically healthy, and it is quite new, from WD.

SOADA

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Well, I caught windoze off guard.
Then I installed TestDisk (Wiki Page), and it was so simple and it went so smoothly that it made me feel like crying (although I didn't). The link is to the Wiki page which will walk you through the basic scenario and which also contains links to other scenarios. What could be more simple than that?

I tried burning a Knoppix Live CD and using it to recover the files (before I discovered TD), but it kept hanging during boot.... whatever.

-= Arc =-: I had a look at the descriptions of the progs you'd recommended, and it said nothing there about partition recovery, only deleted files' recovery. But I didn't test them, so I can't be sure.

Is there a place on G2G where you can recommend software? TestDisk is free and it works great!

Anyways, thanks to all o'y'all who tried to help,
SOADA