Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashes

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a custom built system or a name brand?
We had something like this not long ago where the PSU was in wrong on the system and was blowing hot air over the cpu causing it to overheat.
Anyway you can get a few pics of the PSU from the back and from the inside of the case?
Also of the CPU and CPU fan?

Advertisements

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I think I may have solved the problem.

I've read a few tutorials and a couple videos on applying thermal paste. So this time I decided to use even less than last time. Upon removing the heatsink it seems I had applied too much the second time I had used it, so I put some on, took it back off and applied even less, about 2/3 the size of a pea. I also once again thoroughly cleaned the CPU and heatsink before application (only used tissues and credit card)

Now I'm running the system with the side off still and using the programs that were making it overheat and it hasn't yet got above 50 degrees celsius, currently idling away at 46 degrees.

A little embarrassing for me, but lesson learned. Thanks for the help and if the problem arises once more I'll be sure to let you know - and reapply even less thermal paste.

PS: It's getting onto summer here, in sub tropical Australia. Partly the warm days might've been why it started showing up recently and not during winter.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hmm, the idle temp is still low but it got back up to 77 degrees whilst using a facebook app. I turned off the computer and reapplied a little less thermal paste (although the last lot seemed good).

So the problem still isn't fixed, kinda intermittent now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be the fan or the cpu is faulty.
Try putting a small fan blowing into the system and see what happens.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok, I'll see if I can pick one up today and see how that goes.

Visibly the fan is working fan and both Everest and Speedfan clock it's running speed @ 3125rpm, and that remains very consistent.

I guess the only way to check a faulty CPU is to install another one of the same type?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes that is it but I think that is not the problem. Just trying to go back through everything and see if there is anything I may have missed.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Could it have anything to do with my vid card? When I don't look at vids or play games the temp drops.

Card is NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only way to test that is with a different video card or switching to the onboard video.
If you have onboard that would be the best way.
The other way is to boot into safe mode with networking and try a video or something that normally sets it off.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I've got integrated graphics so I'll try using that, and I'll also try the safe mode thing too.

From memory I was getting this problem a few weeks ago when I switched to the onboard video but I'll try it again in light of the improved thermal paste application.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Reapplied thermal paste again after it got up to 77C.

Now it won't budge paste 51C, doing the same things... I put even less on this time.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
It didn't prompt to download the debugger no matter how many times I clicked it, but the report is as follows:

===============================

Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No crash dumps have been found on your computer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled and no crash dumps have been found on your computer. In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware or power failure. Then it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

===============================

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The PSU or MOBO are really the only two option we have not visited at this point.
From the WhoCrashed log the problem is not the drivers.

Let's take a look at you OS itself then. This will depend on if the XP cd is needed if it can complete.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I did everything as suggested (using XP) and it still asks for an installation CD. I can get it to keep scanning until about 1/4 to 1/3 in, then it won't progress further and keeps asking for a CD. I did change the registry value as instructed, double checked, have rebooted twice and tried sfc /scannow about 5 times with the same result each time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That means there is a problem with the System files.
Can you borrow a XP disk of the same type you have ...Home or Pro