Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashes

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I'll ask some mates, I have XP Home Edition, 2002.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then that is what you would need since that is what was originally installed. XP Home

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I haven't had a chance to get an XP install CD yet, just too busy, but my computer temp was staying low and no problems. Now it's overheating again, and although it hasn't shut down using the "Core Temp" application, both cores got up to around 100C, and that was when I was looking at a site to book an overseas trip next year.

I touched the heat sink and it's definitely not as hot as boiling water. Could it be over time the heatsink doesn't have a proper seal with the CPU?

Since this page doesn't use Flash the temps are both now 72C, with Everest saying it's 61C.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes over time the seal between the two can become separated a little.
Depending on the age of the system you may need to take the fan off and clean the top of the cpu off. Apply a new pea size drop of thermal paste and then put the fan back on the cpu.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok, thanks.

The thing is though I've done this 4 times in the past 6 weeks, the last time using a blob roughly the size of a grain of rice 2 weeks ago and it seemed to fix the problem, but very recently it's started again. Very annoying!! Both cores appear to be relatively even in temperatures, but getting up to 100C is ridiculous. It's been quite warm weather wise the past week, but surely it shouldn't climb 20+ degrees higher than a week earlier when the weather may be up to 10 degrees higher?

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
So I reapplied thermal paste and it's running at a normal temp again...

I think I have a theory as to what's happening, someone more knowledgeable may be able to either support or refute it, either way it would be helpful.

Each time the problem is fixed (twice now) one core always runs hotter than the other by around 10-15C.
When the problem comes back both cores are running a lot hotter but at the same temp.
When I remove the heatsink the distribution of the thermal paste is uneven, with it being normal on one side and almost not there on the other.

Theory: the hotter running core is thinning the thermal paste till they both run at the same temp, but because the thermal paste has thinned it's not transferring heat properly and thus an overheating problem occurs, hence a faulty CPU.

What do you think?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The thing is when you put that drop on the cpu you have to spread it out evenly on the cpu and then put the heatsink on it.
Putting to much or to little will result in the same symptoms you are experiencing.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I am putting on about a blob the size of a grain of rice, and have read you need not spread it out as it does this by itself anyway on a few other forums and also tutorials. But I've done it this time anyway with the same results as last time.

If the problem occurs again (which it probably will going by past history) I'll report back.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the problems happens again I would start looking at the cpu itself as maybe a source of the problem. It could be damaged by the overheating in the past.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Just to conclude, I followed through with a warranty claim with AMD and received the replacement CPU yesterday (even upgraded to an Athlon 64 x2 5200) and since the temperatures haven't been a problem - I played a solid hour or two of Battlefield 2 with the settings on medium, no problems (beforehand I couldn't even play Farmville on facebook without it overheating after 5-10 minutes).

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like the problem was then concluded to be damage due to overheating from what you have said. I am glad you have gotten a replacement and even a upgrade to your previous CPU.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible