Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair Triple Boot

• Please log in to reply

Bald Patches

Bald Patches

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I gave up on trying to repair the 98 installation and re-installed it but am of course unable to boot Ubuntu or Xp.

Original install was 98,XP,Ubuntu.

Original boot order was Ubuntu,Xp,98.

I assume that I have to fix the MBR but have no idea how to go about this.

If I can reconfigure the boot system I won't have to re-install XP & Ubuntu!!! :)

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
If you reinstalled 98 while the others were loaded. Then the only way I can think of, is to use the winxp disk. and load up the recovery command prompt. Log in to it, and repair the the computer by using fixboot and fixmbr. This should let you back in to xp and should offer you 98 as well.

Then ubuntu is going to be a little but more of a hassle. You will need to load up using a livecd/dvd with your ubuntu partition selected as root/boot device (which will load up your installed copy of ubuntu) After that you can reinstall the boot loader either lilo or grub which ever you used.

After all of that you should be back to normal.

I apologize a head of time for any of it not being clear. But it is hard for me to discribe with out being in front of the machine it self.

Edit some links

To repair xp follow this guide
http://www.tech-reci...covery_console/

After you repaired xp follow this guide to reinstall the boot loader for ubuntu
http://www.howtogeek...s-wipes-it-out/

Edited by amw_drizz, 14 October 2009 - 11:41 PM.

Bald Patches

Bald Patches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the info - I'll save it to disc for future reference.

I reinstalled all three but this time I have put most of the 98 apps on a separate partition and backup the C drive plus the registry regularly. Should the worst happen again and I do have to reinstall 98 I can jump forward to current status quickly.

I did try fixboot and fixmbr before I gave up on a repair job but it did not want to play ball.

Being fairly new to Linux I'm sure the info you have supplied will be invaluable as my experience with loading printer drivers has taught me one thing......NEVER rely on one source.

XP shouldn't be a problem as I mainly want it for burning and gaming so minimal apps installed there.

I like Ubuntu because I can access the whole hard drive from it.I do find its burn packages basic so far but working from the command line is a refreshing change to the easy interface of windows even if it means I have to read more!!!

As I still have space on my HD I'm looking to trying out more Distros but they have to be capable of handling a multiple boot system.......any suggestions???

Thanks again for your input...much appreciated!!! :)