Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wmp9 - movie playback issue

• Please log in to reply

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hello there on my first post, ;)

I have two issues, the first is that windows media player 9 no longer plays movies in sequence. If a movie file is split in 2 halves (because of compression on VCD's for eg) I used to be able to select the files > right click the first in the sequence > and select "play with media player". The player used to play all selected files, in proper sequence, without a bother. Now, when I right click it only gives the option to simply "play" or "open" and only the first file in the sequence is played. This only happens with movie and not music files though because if I select a whole album of mp3's and right click the first, it still gives the "play with media player" option which plays the whole album through in proper sequence.

[edit: this second problem has been resolved, as I explain in next post]
Secondly, windows explorer no longer has any of the thumbnail previews in the left pane for the .jpg file extension. Gifs are as they should be though.

Any help is much appreciated! ;)

[btw, that popping sound you heard will have been my forum virginity, first post and all that!] :tazz:

Edited by Caine, 16 May 2005 - 11:03 PM.

Advertisements

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm still having the same problems playing movies on WMP9 despite uninstalling and reinstalling the player. So, any help is still needed.

I have fixed the .jpg image preview in windows explorer though. I'll post the method I used to replace the key for anyone else that has the same trouble, but first I'd just like to make a big warning:

DISCLAIMER: Before making ANY changes to the registry it's in your best interests to make a back-up of the registry, as sometimes changes can serious problems, ie: prevent windows from running.

Choose Start, Run, type regedit, and press Enter to launch the Registry Editor. Click the plus sign (+) next to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder icon, or double-click the icon itself. From there, navigate to the folder (called a key in Registry lingo) corresponding to the extension of the file type that Explorer is not previewing properly. For example, to fix the preview information for .jpg files, go to the .jpg key. If it has a plus sign next to it, click that to expand the tree diagram for the complete .jpg key. There you'll find a key called ShellEx. (If you don't see it, no problem: Just right-click the .jpg icon in the left pane and choose New, Key. Then type ShellEx and press Enter.)

Click the plus sign next to the ShellEx key to expand the keys underneath. There should be a key named {BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}. If it's not there, take a deep breath, right-click the ShellEx key in the left pane, and choose New, Key. Then type {BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1} and press Enter. (You can now exhale.)

Select the key to see its contents in the right pane. It should include an icon labeled (Default) and, to the right, a series of numbers in braces. If it doesn't, and you created the key yourself, double-click the (Default) icon in the right pane to edit its value data. If the key was already there but has the wrong value, right-click in the right pane and choose New, String Value. Type (Default) and press Enter. Double-click the (Default) icon to edit its value data. Then in the Value data box, type {7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC} (including the braces) and click OK.

Finally, proofread your typing, both for the new key and for the string value. If you did everything right, your preview should return whenever you select a .jpg file in any Explorer or folder window that is set to view Web content.

Of course, this example fixes only the .jpg file type. You need to repeat the procedure for the .gif key and any other key that refuses to show a preview. The method outlined above won't work for every file type, but you should be able to preview images having any of the following extensions: .art, .bmp, .dib, .gif, .jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, and .wmf. Have fun!

http://www.pcworld.c...id,36585,00.asp

[edit: contents quoted in case link's broken]

Edited by Caine, 15 May 2005 - 06:54 PM.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Bump! any suggestions on wmp 9 movie playback?

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
and again! :tazz:

;)

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
pretty please? :tazz:

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I got advice from someone that maybe there's a conflict in the device manager that could be causing this. I checked and there isn't. ;)

I also got a suggestion to clean the paging file, which I also tried with no success. :tazz:

Surely somebody out there has seen this before? ;)

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
*mutter, mutter* ... *keeps on talking to myself* ... *mutter, mutter*

"nearly three weeks... grumble grumble... not a single reply... mutter mutter"

Only kidding! :tazz: Still though, any replies would be nice! ;)

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Caine,

Ever considered trying:
http://www.winsupers...views/wmp10.asp

Oh and if you keep posting in a thread it will look as if you are being helped because of the number of replies.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm running Win2k I'm afraid, so no!

And uninstall/reinstall of wmp9 doesn't seem to be resetting whatever it is that got changed.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Did you install any codecs before the problems started?

Regards,

Advertisements

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Um, I did have K-lite codec pack installed on the machine at some stage. I'm not 100% sure whether this issue happened when the codec pack was installed/ unstalled whatever... sorry Metallica :tazz: ! I can't remember which order I did them, but I'm almost positive there was no trouble when the first couple of versions of the pack were there.

It may be completely unrelated, but you've actually just reminded me that I had trouble with quicktime plugins in firefox after an upgrade, so I uninstalled/reinstalled quicktime which reset the plugins in firefox and they worked again. Thing is, I have been told it's always better to do a 'clean' install as it were, by doing a complete uninstall before the reinstall. So I used the 'uninstall everything' rather that just 'uninstall' in the quicktime uninstall options. Could this be the problem? Does quicktime share some files/settings with wmp?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I have never heard of any conflicts between Quicktime and WMP but I have seen way too many problems with additional codecs for WMP being installed.
Especially the K-Lite codecs. That was the main reason I asked.

Regards,

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
k-lite codec pack has been uninstalled and the problem's persisting, so I assume that it's not the cause of the problem, yes?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Any other codecs you installed?

For the jpg thumbnails I found this possible solution
Click Start > Run > type regsvr32 thumbvw.dll > OK

It may take a reboot for the changes to kick in.

Regards,

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I can't think of any codecs that were installed apart from the k-lite pack.

As for the jpg thumbnail preview, I already got it fixed thanks! :tazz: The second post in the thread outlines the method I used to replace the registry key that was removed.