Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External usb hdd is not detected

• Please log in to reply

newnoi

newnoi

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
The external usb hard disk is not detected by 3 different computers working with XP Home, XP Proffesional, and Vista home premium.
It is any test or program to solve it?
I open My computer and it is not an icon for this hard drive, and it is not an icon with an arrow near the clock.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Format it.

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

inapaler

inapaler

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
just to follow up on Neil's post, if your drive is not detected after format I guess its defective...
having not detected by 3 pc's is really alarming.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

just to follow up on Neil's post, if your drive is not detected after format I guess its defective...
having not detected by 3 pc's is really alarming.

But if it's unformatted drive it won't show in my Computer under ANY recent version of Windows.