Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows explorer keeps shutting down and restarting - Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

Kinard2005

Kinard2005

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
So my laptop has been acting a little buggy lately.
Examples:
1)Can not change the desktop wallpaper/background only can use solid colors
2)Icons in explorer windows are missing with only words showing
3)Audio stops working(Task tray icon says No Audio Driver is Loaded and will only work when I disable and the enable the driver that IS still in the Device Manager (and yes I have replaced/updated it to still have the same issue happen whenever I reboot)
4)When ever I power up I get a pop up box that says "Presentation settings are only available on mobile PC's"
5)The Alps touch-pad stops working randomly

I came to this site to run through the Malware & Spyware Cleaning Guide and got through most of the steps to Step 4 - Reboot / Test. When I restarted the laptop it seemed to be worse. After signing-in and right when I see my desktop the pop up box from example 4 comes on then I get a pop up from the task tray that says some start up features were blocked and then the Windows Explorer crashes with another pop up then saying its restating windows explorer. But that is where I am stuck , because it now cycling through crashing and restarting.

When I restart in Safe Mode it does the same thing with the Windows Explorer crashing and resetting in a cycle. I am able to use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get to the Task Manager and use the RUN feature and cmd.exe code to get a non crashing windows explorer open and navigated to my program files and ran both Malwarebyte's which said I had a Combofix virus which it quarantined; and SuperAntiSpyware which cleaned out 42 adware cookies.

After all that it still is acting up in both normal and safe mode. Help.

I have a Compaq Presario C700 running whatever standard 32bit Vista on it. My anti virus software is Avir Anti-virus premium and my firewall is Comodo. Both are up to date.

Below are my logs from the OTL, MBAM and RootRepeal scans. These were done in Safe Mode as that is the only way I would have been able to do them:

Thanks again!!!!
-K

Edited by Rorschach112, 05 October 2009 - 12:12 PM.
removed clean logs

Advertisements

Kinard2005

Kinard2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
35 people looking at this post and no one can help????

Kinard2005

Kinard2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
how do I close or delete this topic??