Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Detect HP Printer

• Please log in to reply

dwintermeyer

dwintermeyer

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have suddenly lost the ability for my PC to detect and communicate with my HP Office Jet 4550 all in one. The printer and USB cable works fine with a back up laptop. I have tried to uninstall the HP software package and drivers but it still finds an error when attempting to connect to the computer. HP tech support blamed the USB Chipset. The USB ports work fine for other devices attached via USB, ie mouse, keyboard, Magic Jack.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to offer.

Advertisements

chhenn

chhenn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello I similarly have an HP laptop and an HP printer and cant connect them, I rang HP tech support and went on their online chat thing to no avail, its really frustrating.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did the printer work on the system before?
Have you tried another USB port to see if that works?
Did you uninstall the drivers then reinstall taking care not to connect the printer until after the drivers are installed and you have rebooted?

dwintermeyer

dwintermeyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
No problem, I have been waiting patiently.

The printer has worked fine and it works on another computer. It won't work on any USB ports.

I did uninstall using the HP L3 Uninstall in the ccc program. Then reinstalled the latest version from HP website. No luck.

I also uninstalled the driver associated with the USB hub that came up as problematic, and reinstalled it. No luck on any of that. (After deleting the driver it at least said it recognized the new usb device when I connect the cable but didn't identify it as a printer. So I manually added the printer and it shows as installed and set as default and online. But no test page prints or anything else.

Printer working fine, cables are ok it is just invisible to my computer.

The specific message I was getting was:
"USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."

I appreciate any further suggestions as it is quite maddening, as I am sure you can appreciate being in this line of work.
Thanks in advance.

dwintermeyer

dwintermeyer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Problem solved.

All it took was a motherboard re-boot. Disconnected power cord, waited a few minutes and re-booted. All is well.
Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.