Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 98 Boot up

• Please log in to reply

CutcoKaren

CutcoKaren

• Pip
  • 6 posts
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]
I am operating windows 98 and as of a couple of days ago when I tried to boot up I received a message "Windows protection error. Need to restart"
I shut down for 2 minutes, reboot and am given the option to open in Safe Mode. I accept the option (which is better than nothing) and windows 98 opens in safe mode. I cannot open and operate any of my programs (WordPerfect, Quicken, etc). As soon as I try to copy a file onto a floppy (to rescue it) I get an Illegal Error dialog box or when I try to pay a bill I get a dialog box which states that I do not enough memory.
I have tried my start up & boot disks and all they do is get me to a DOS prompt.
At DOS I have tried FDSK and CHKDISK and I did get a message that the computer could not find a partition on my C drive. In Safe Mode the computer recognizes that I have a FAT32.
When I got in using the "Safe Mode" I ran a thorough Scan Disk (overnight - after closing all running programs except Explorer) and that reported that ScanDisk found errors and fixed them. Elated, I rebooted and to my dismay nothing had changed.
HELP! How do I find the Problem and correct it?
I use Norton SystemWorks, Spybot, AdAware & Mozilla Firefox for protection. I perform these function almost daily for peace-of-mind (apparantly, alas. to no avail).
What does anyone suggest? Karen

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
boot to safe mode go to run type sfc and when the dialouge box comes up click on settings backup before restore click ok and run scan for altered files

Edited by peterm, 15 May 2005 - 04:32 AM.

CutcoKaren

CutcoKaren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, peterm, will try.

CutcoKaren

CutcoKaren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
To peterm:
I did what you said and restored 123 files, mostly .exe; .dll; some .sys's; a few .ocx's & vxd's; a couple of .drv's & (2) .386's.

I rebooted, system said it was updating files and to reboot.

I rebooted and I got the message
"While initializing device SymTDI:
Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer"
I restarted and was given the option again of "Safe Mode"
I am now again running "Scan Disk - Thorough" in safe mode to see if there are any other (or new) errors to fix.
Any other suggestions?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
did you have nortons and remove it?
Everything points to you having removed nortons or nortons firewall

Edited by peterm, 16 May 2005 - 06:33 PM.

CutcoKaren

CutcoKaren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I still have Norton and I don't use the Firewall because after I install it, it interferes with the operation of some programs and my printer. In Safe Mode I can run NAV but the Norton SystemWorks will not run in Safe Mode because of the limited number of drivers and because it is in DOS mode and may mess up some files.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have you recently upgraded Nortons or uninstalled nortons firewall
What version of Nortons are you using
I am pretty sure I know what is wrong but want to take 1 step at a time

Edited by peterm, 18 May 2005 - 11:55 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok 1st we need to backup your Registry
Read this (you have to go to safe mode)
Backup 98 registry.
If not sure what to do DO NOTHING and ask
Cheers
Peterm

CutcoKaren

CutcoKaren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, and thanks for of your helpful support. I took the tower to my manager at work. She's technically saavy and she will look at it over the weekend. If she can fix it, great - if not, I'll have it back and be in touch. Thanks again for all of your help - have a great weekend! K

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
OK
Can you contact her and have her look at this
uninstall SymTDI
This should do it
This is where we were going but I had to take you step by step
If she is computer savvy then the link above will fix the problem
Cheers
peter

Edited by peterm, 21 May 2005 - 01:24 AM.