Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PCI ports not working

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

NoKlu

NoKlu

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have an older HP desktop that has 3 PCI ports and only one works. I tried to add a PCI to cardbus adapter so I can use an aircard for internet and it will work in only one port. The problem is it is next to my video card in the pci express port and it blocks the airflow and over heats my card. The card is almost touching the fan. When I plug it in to any of the other 2 ports the computer won't boot. Everything goes fine till the windows screen comes up,at half brightness,then it locks up. I tried to boot in safe mode but it gets to the screen that prints the whole page,I don't know what it's called, then it locks up just like in the windows boot. The only way I can get it to work is to hold the power button till the pc shuts down then remove the card. In the first port all is good,pnp picks it up,installs the card and it works as it should. Does anybody have any Idea why the other 2 wont work?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

This normally points to a bad motherboard... as you might have guessed might be the response you'd get here.

The PCI bus is common, so if one goes out, I would think all of them would go out. So... given that, what I would check is that there is nothing in the blank slots that would cause a short to occur if a card is installed into the slot. You might inspect them and clean them out with compressed air. Also, if the slots were not used for a long time, the connector pins might develop oxidation disallowing proper connections. Try inserting/removing the card from the slots to sort of clean that off. On the card connector itself, you might use a pencil eraser to clean oxidation... you might be surprised how shiny the pins will get once they're clean. Be sure to ground yourself via a ground strap, or by touching a bare metal surface on the computer chassis to rid yourself of any static electricity before touching any hardware.

Lastly, I would reset bios to defaults in case the other PCI slots just happen to be disabled... although, this shouldn't cause a crash if they were.

NoKlu

NoKlu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I cleaned everything up and blew the slots out with air and now with the pcmcia card in the pci slot next to the video card,it shows up in the device manager and says it's working. If I plug my aircard in it I get the BSOD. I did get it in once and was able to find it in the device manager but the aircard showed in the printer port and not in the pcmcia slot. Am I wasting my time trying to get this thing working. Could it just be the pci to pcmcia card thats no good? I just bought it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Could it just be the pci to pcmcia card thats no good? I just bought it.

Yes, it could be the adapter card, that's why I'm reluctant to blame the motherboard... I was actually under the impression that everything worked in that one pci slot except for being next to the vid card... but apparently not, from your last posting. You might be better off returning the adapter and just purchasing a pci wireless card... less compatibility problems.

NoKlu

NoKlu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I need an aircard to get internet. I was given a sierra 580 aircard free. The pcmcia was to I could save $300 and not have to buy a usb aircard. The pcmcia did work in the first slot but I did not get enough signal for the card to connect to the cell phone system. When I was able to get a cell phone booster to get enough signal,thats when everything went bad. Now I can't even plug the card in with out the BSOD. This is a link to the original thread I had a couple of weeks ago. It will explain where I'm at.First thread

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
After reviewing the THREAD you linked, there appears to be a problem… and that is that the machine in question is connected to a company provided secured network. Installing an Aircard/adapter into the computer may cause problems for the secured network if the computer possibly contracts a virus or malware while insecurely connected to the Internet and is again reconnected to the secured network. Since there is no way to insure that this will not occur, I have to cite the following…

We here at Geeks To Go cannot help you get around any sort of administrative restrictions imposed on a School, Work, or any other network not owned and operated by yourself. These restrictions can include (but are not limited to): Website Blocking policies, Software Installation policies, Email retention policies, Software Configuration policies, Network/Internet usage policies, Network Configuration policies, Forum or Chat Room Bans, Game Server Bans, or any other actions that are deemed "unauthorized" by the owners/administrators of the network in question. Any actions by members of the Geeks To Go site that would be offered to help in this manner would directly violate the TOS of this site.

If you have any issues with this policy please PM a Moderator or Admin.

With that said, this topic is closed. If you feel this is unjustified, please contact Admin to have it reopened. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank,
makai