Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Cannot connect to VPN using Windows XP vpn client

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I'll do my best to give enough info here...

I'm trying to connect to a VPN using my Windows XP machine. When I try to connect, it goes through the first few steps and then gets stuck on 'Verifying username and password'. I eventually get "Error 721: The remote computer did not respond.".

There are in fact two VPN's i'd like to be able to connect to (although not at the same time!) and they both have exactly the same problem. I can connect to both of them from another XP machine which uses the same network connection. So that rules out firewall in my router I think, and also gives me confidence that the VPNs are working and my username and password are correct.

The machine which has the problem is Windows XP using the default windows XP client. I am running the Windows Firewall and Sophos AV. I have tried connecting to both VPNs with the firewall turned off and it still does not work, so I'm not sure that it's the firewall stopping it. My wireless connection is through a NETGEAR WPN311 wireless network card and I am using it's own software for my wireless connection (Not the default windows wireless networks utility)

So, the only difference I can see between a machine that works and one that doesn't is Sophos and the NETGEAR WPN311, but not sure if there is something else I have missed...?

Many thanks for any help!