Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video card

• Please log in to reply

trainguy

trainguy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm thinking about buying a new computer (this one is a decade old) and while I feel most of the "off the shelf systems" (HP, Dell etc) would work just fine, it seems my wife likes to play some games. I get the impression those off the shelf systems are not best suited for this purpose. Maybe I can still use one of those but upgrade the video card to help her. When you ask her about games she will respond with WOW (not online) and Farmville?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Trainguy

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Hi trainguy, welcome to GTG :)

Most of the time, off the shelf systems really aren't meant to be gaming machines. They can usually run the average game with no problem, but you can't really expect them to give off maximum performance. If you bought one of these machines, it's perfectly fine to upgrade the video card in it. What kind of budget are you working on?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
9600GT from NVIDIA or even a 9500 will do.
4650 from the ATI camp.

WOW and Farmville aren't demanding games so you can go with one of those cards. Or this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125250 will still do. Depends on your budget and how much performance you want.

Are you interested in building your own system?