Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

slow startup

• Please log in to reply

vbr666

vbr666

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi.

what could cause same configuration to startup about 30 seconds slower than before?
I don't have anything to load on startup except antivirus, nvidia nview control panel and networking (windows lan network - networking bridge with adsl always on).
It is the same stuff I was loading 6 months before when I could load windows and fire up firefox 30 seconds earlier.
I've defragmented both disk partitions 4-5 times each and there is no malware detected by either antivirus or myself in task manager.

what could cause slower startup times?

I've also noticed that my computer is slower overall. not very much, but noticeable.

I've got winxpsp3.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
"Slow" is relative to the user... meaning, what's slow to you may not be slow to me! :)

If you're "gauging" the slowness on how your computer worked 6 months ago, then I have to guess its all just due to the amount of usage your computer has seen. It could also be that there are just too many startups happening in the background. How many processes are shown running in Task Mangaer?

vbr666

vbr666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
oh man, I've said that I don't have anything loading on startup except those named three things which were there yesterday, day before, month ago, 6 months ago, year ago...
nothing has changed in terms of computer usage (by any process or processes) and it boots at least 30 seconds slower.

why?

Edited by vbr666, 05 October 2009 - 12:00 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

oh man, I've said that I don't have anything loading on startup except those named three things which were there yesterday, day before, month ago, 6 months ago, year ago...
nothing has changed in terms of computer usage (by any process or processes) and it boots at least 30 seconds slower.

why?

Good question.

There is no computer that can run with only three processes. Now you may think nothing has changed, but if you're noticing some difference in your computer, then something MUST have changed, whether you want to believe it or not. If you're unwilling to offer up the information I've asked for, then we can end it here, as I'm way too busy to be dealing with sarcasm. My desktop only has 20 processes showing up in Task Manager directly after startup... I'm guessing you probably have more.... and if not, then you probably don't need any help.

vbr666

vbr666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

why?

Good question.

There is no computer that can run with only three processes. Now you may think nothing has changed, but if you're noticing some difference in your computer, then something MUST have changed, whether you want to believe it or not. If you're unwilling to offer up the information I've asked for, then we can end it here, as I'm way too busy to be dealing with sarcasm. My desktop only has 20 processes showing up in Task Manager directly after startup... I'm guessing you probably have more.... and if not, then you probably don't need any help.

no, I don't have only 3 processes loading at startup.
I have the same amount of processes loading on startup as I had year ago.
that's what i'm trying to find out, what's causing slow startup if number of processes hasn't changed, that's why i asked my question here, i thought experienced users will have at least few possible reasons of why that would change so I could try those other reasons, but you kept insisting on increase of running processes like it's only reason of slow startup.

I had some hardware problems with my configuration in the past and I had to change 2 MBOs already, because it suddenly stopped booting (no signal at all on powering up, but fans are running).

So I thought it might be end nearing too, for this MBO in my config so that's why it's slowing down recently.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can I offer some assistance to maybe help?

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.