Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire 4730z recovery failure

• Please log in to reply

crrann0714

crrann0714

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I baught my son an Acer Aspire 4730z laptop New and he barely even used it. It came with Vista and we removed vista and added XP and Avasti Anitvirus. It ran fine for about a month. About a month later after researching for a project paper for his class we went on Wikipedia. And then the laptop just quit. Nothing but a solid black screen. I tried going to recovery management and that did not help. I called Acer and they walked me through steps for recovery and that didn't work so I had to pay for Recovery discs. As soon as I got them (1-system disc, 2-recovery discs) I started it and it took 60 hours at 1MB/Min. After waiting, it said "recovery failure" and needed to shut down. Again, a solid screen. Can someone help me please!!

Advertisements

GMCS

GMCS

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
You mentioned that it is a new laptop. Is is still under warranty?
Are you getting the Acer BIOS splash screen when starting?
Are you hearing any beeps out of the system when starting?
How about lights on the keyboard area - anything lighting up or flashing?
First thing I would try is booting from a Linux live distro. Download and burn the .iso file of Puppy Linux from this site. Be sure to burn it as a disk 'image' not a data file. Most burning programs will instruct you in the procedure.

crrann0714

crrann0714

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It is under warranty and I have called Acer. I am trying to get the recovery disks to work. As soon as I boot it up it goes to a black screen with a Acer logo and then it goes to a solid black screen and stays there. No beeps when starting. No flashing lights other than HDD showing that its active. I will try Linux live distro. Thank you.