Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Applications randomly deselecting

• Please log in to reply

Wumbo

Wumbo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

I've been using my computer since about 2001 without any problems. However, very recently I've had some issues with it. The most prominent and bothersome of which is that whenever I am using an application (be it notepad, FireFox, StarCraft, or Trillian), it will apparently at random deselect. So if I'm typing a message like I am right now, sometimes the window will deselect (not minimize) and I'll have to click on the window again to continue typing. If I'm using a fullscreen application like StarCraft, it will be as if I'd minimized it and bring me to my desktop (very frustrating in a competetive game).

I've only done one thing out of the ordinary recently, which is to take all of the folders from 'My Music" and put them onto an external harddrive (the total size being about 40 gigs). I don't see why that would cause a problem because there aren't any system files there, but that's all I can think of...

I've run virus scanners like malware bytes and Avast, but the problem has not went away, so I suspect it might be something not related to a virus?

I also got 'blue screens of death' for the first time this year, but it stopped happening when I stopped using a particular application (that I used to be able to use fine) so I suspect it's only because parts of my computer are getting old and can't handle the strain. This deselecting problem must be something else though.

Thanks for your time, hoping you can help me.

Advertisements

Wumbo

Wumbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No one?

Is there any type of hotkey that does this that I can disable somehow? It's getting really annoying when I try to talk on an instant messenger, or when I'm writing an essay, or posting on a forum. It also makes watching any video fullscreen impossible because it will just deselect at random after a few seconds. Sometimes it deselects and reselects 5 or 6 times in a span of 15 seconds, and sometimes it just deselects after a few minutes.

Please help, this makes no sense.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Wumbo.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

First of all let's get some information.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Next would you let me know what kind of mouse you have please.
Wired or wireless
standard or optical
2 button or 3 button
Make and model
Age of mouse

Wumbo

Wumbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer EDCOMPUTER
Generator Owner
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-10-25
Time 00:29

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name EDCOMPUTER
User Name Owner

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2400 MHz (24 x 100)
Motherboard Name Intel Villanova D845GLVA (3 PCI, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GL
System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (01/28/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 905DF(X)/955DF(X)/MagicSyncMaster CD195A [19" CRT] (HCGW601174)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller MagicISO SCSI Host Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Disk Drive SAMSUNG SV1204H (120 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive EE6396H FUY811V SCSI CdRom Device
Optical Drive LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252B (52x/24x/52x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 110258 MB (7903 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 4219 MB (1456 MB free)
Total Size 114477 MB (9359 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Hamachi Network Interface - Hotspot Shield Helper Miniport (5.127.197.138)
Network Adapter Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection (192.168.1.187)
Network Adapter TAP VPN Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport

Peripherals:
Printer HP LaserJet 4M Plus
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Printer Send To OneNote 2007
USB1 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - USB Controller [A-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
USB Device USB Human Interface Device

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem Disk free space is only 7% on drive C:.

Posted Image

Wired or wireless [wired]
standard or optical [laser optical]
2 button or 3 button [two with a wheel button]
Make and model [hp... just some standard cheap one
Age of mouse [?? Dunno. Found it in the basement after my old one was giving me trouble]

I will try replacing my mouse to see if it helps, I guess.

Wumbo

Wumbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I think it was the mouse. Haven't experienced any trouble. Of course it's only been 5ish minutes, but I could barely go 20 seconds before.

Thanks a lot :) Didn't mean to seem bothersome... But I made the OP a month ago and thought it was just buried so I'd bump it. Was thinking it was hardware related, but I was going to replace my keyboard before my mouse! I had no idea a mouse could do that.

Thanks again! Very relieved. It was a hard month not being able to use any fullscreen aps.

Edited by Wumbo, 24 October 2009 - 10:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Don't be to quick. Looking at your Everest report you have a serious issue with HD space.
Your drive shows
C: (NTFS) 110258 MB (7903 MB free)
That is only 7% of free space.
Once a drive gets below 10 percent or less the MFT or Master File Table can become corrupt and the system will become unstable.
I suggest we work on freeing up some space.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Wumbo

Wumbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
That's okay... I work with video editing, so I have a 1TB external harddrive. It had just been awhile. In the process of moving files.

I use CCleaner pretty regularly, so I don't think I have too many useless temp files. Thank you for the suggestion though. Is it very superior to CCleaner?

Edit: Well... it worked for 30 minutes... and now I'm experiencing the same problems I was before. granted this is also a pretty old wired optical mouse.. 33.4 GB free on my harddrive now... Hummm.

Edited by Wumbo, 24 October 2009 - 11:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Wumbo

Wumbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I did so... While using a fullscreen application my screen went totally white for about a second, and I managed to read something about chk, but couldn't read anymore because it disappeared too fast, and I was back at my desktop. It's happened several times.

The chkdsk /r only too about 2 hours

Edited by Wumbo, 25 October 2009 - 11:34 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it found errors there would have been a window showing what it fixed.
As far as a full screen application this should have run on bootup and therefor windows would not have been involved.
I think TFC is very superior to CCleaner.
The latter can potentially delete files that are needed and thus cause a system problem.
I suggest not using it myself.
As for your returning issue I am beginning to wonder since you replaced the mouse and issue returned later.
Maybe there could be a infection we are battling.
Just so we both can be sure.....
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Wumbo

Wumbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've been looking at my Processes list and every so often something called "iexplore" comes up and then disappears shortly after... I did a google search and it seems like it's some kind of spyware. I will follow the malware instructions page and see if it helps.

"As far as a full screen application this should have run on bootup and therefor windows would not have been involved. "

I restarted the computer, it did it's thing, restarted itself, and then after when I was in windows I got what I described.

Edited by Wumbo, 25 October 2009 - 12:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok thank you. Add the link to this topic for them and also would you post a link to your malware topic here. That way I can follow what the Malware Tech has you do.

Wumbo

Wumbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ly-t257456.html

Thanks. I took a week to see what was fixed after doing the scans myself.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thank you and I will follow along and hopefully everything will turn out ok and you can be declared healthy.