Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recover deleted files from EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Hey there , well i've been looking for a good software to recover deleted files from my external hard drive since that day when my external hard drive wasnt recognized i decided to change the letter of my hard drive for a different in order to make it work and now i wanna recover my files and movies in fact everything i had in my external hard drive, i will really appreciate it if u guys give me a hand with this.

Thnx. :)

Advertisements

maddgamer

maddgamer

• Pip
  • 7 posts
[quote name='brady1988' date='Oct 3 2009, 07:54 PM' post='1653967']
Hey there , well i've been looking for a good software to recover deleted files from my external hard drive since that day when my external hard drive wasnt recognized i decided to change the letter of my hard drive for a different in order to make it work and now i wanna recover my files and movies in fact everything i had in my external hard drive, i will really appreciate it if u guys give me a hand with this.

Thnx. :)

The best software for this type of stuff is made by Acronis so you mighttake a look at there programs.

Maddgamer

GMCS

GMCS

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Try Recuva

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
is there any other software to recover heavy files we r talking about gigabytes, but i just changed the letter of my external hard drive so i dont know if i still can recover them

GMCS

GMCS

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Changing the letter of an external hard drive will have no effect on recovering files. Did you re-format this external drive?

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
no i havent formatted it yet , so basically im not gonna be able to recover my files because i changed the letter only

GMCS

GMCS

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
What make and model external hard drive are you using? Are you using any pre-installed programs to manipulate (back up, encrypt etc.) the data?

Can you explain what you mean by "change the letter of my [external] hard drive" and how this affects running any data recovery or un-delete program on the drive?

My understanding of changing drive letters is to go into Disk Management (Start>Run>compmgmt.msc.>select Disk Management), right click on the external drive and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..". Changing the drive letter of an external drive has the same effect on the contents as changing the title of a book on its contents - none.

bobbyusa3

bobbyusa3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
removed and moved

Edited by bobbyusa3, 23 October 2009 - 08:53 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: bobbyusa3

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

bobbyusa3

bobbyusa3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok i will, sorry about that

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Brady1988,

Can you clarify where we are at?
You stated in your 1st post that the files are deleted and you also stated that the drive wasn't recognized.
Which is the problem? or is it both?

Changing a drive letter will make the drive unrecognized if the drive letter you assigned manually is conflicting with a drive that is auto assigned. In other words, if you assigned it say letter G and you have a lot of devices plugged in and 1 of them happens to be auto assigned G, then your external will not be seen properly.

Is your drive seen in computer management?
Is it assigned a drive letter? If not, try assigning it x,y, or z.
If its seen in computer management, then generally it should be seen in windows.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i just wanna know if i can recover all files even though i changed the letter of my external hard drive thats all i wanna know , please help me !

KevinMartin

KevinMartin

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks ValeriyaM for your help.Its also helpful to me.