Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building PC problems

• Please log in to reply

Soveryverylost

Soveryverylost

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I have put together my new computer, this is the second time i've done this, but the first time was several years ago. When I got everything together and turned it on, it went to the BIOS just fine. WHen I inserted the windows vista CD into the CD/DVD drive to install the OS it wouldn't boot from it. I have made sure that the cables are all connected, it has power as well. It says Failure to find MEdia device check cable. It also says that it is unable to find a boot drive. My motherboard is a DP55KP Extreme Intel mobo.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Have you set the boot priority to CD ROM 1st(or some BIOS will actually have the name of your drive) and then put hard drive 2nd? Then put the disc in, save and exit. See what happens.

This is usually located under Advanced BIOS options off the top of my head.

Edited by Ferrari, 03 October 2009 - 08:02 PM.

Soveryverylost

Soveryverylost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yeah, the boot priorities are set right, i checked in the BIOS. It doesn't say the drive brand name, it just says ATAPI drive, which makes me think it's not seeing it. I'm thinking my drive might be bad (even though it's brand new like everything else in the system).

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
That is my next step. Is your ROM drive recognized in the BIOS? It will usually give the exact name, generally listed in the same area where your hard drive/sata ports are listed.

EXAMPLE:

SATA 0........... WD 320 etc etc
SATA 1............ NONE
SATA 2............ LG DVD drive (something like that)
SATA 3............ NONE

ETC, ETC...

If it is not recognized, try changing which sata port you have it plugged into. Make sure you have the connections secure, both power from your PSU and the SATA Data cable.

If still no go, the drive is bad. For the time being, any IDE or SATA drive(maybe from another computer) will work to install VISTA, you don't have to have a drive installed for the computer to work.

Soveryverylost

Soveryverylost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah i switched around the SATA plugs. I'm pretty sure the drive is bad. Unfortunately my mobo doesn't have any IDE slots in it (INTEL has decided to phase those out apparently) so I don't have another drive lying around. I'll just have to take this one back and try anew one. Thank you very very much for your help!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
No problem. Let me know how it goes. Good Luck! :)