Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hijack.WindowsUpdate

• Please log in to reply

BigSi79

BigSi79

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Afternoon All,

The aforementioned virus/malware/problem will not disappear. MBAM picks it up everytime, two copies of it to be precise. The information it lists is as follows:

Number 1.

Hijack.WindowsUpdate / Registry Data / HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS\ImagePath (Data: %fystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs) / Ref #40656

Number 2.

Hijack.WindowsUpdate / Registry Data / HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv\ImagePath (Data: %fystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs) / Ref #97196

I've tried SmitFraudFix in safe mode, MBAM in safe mode, I regularly run Ad-Aware, filehippo.com, SpywareGuard, Spyware Blaster...and err, that's about it! I work for a relatively large company and the HQ IT guys can't seem to get rid of it either!

Thanks guys, any help would be tip top; if I can give any more info do let me know.

Oh, running XP, laptop is a Bony Vaio VGN-SZ71WN.

Thanks,
Simon.

Advertisements

BigSi79

BigSi79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
PROBLEM SOLVED! :)

A friendly IT guy went into 'regedit', changed permissions to allow changes on both 'BITS' & 'wuauserv'.

He did this after noticing the incorrect spelling in each path, '(Data: %fystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs)'. (Note the f, not S in 'System')

Used the Modify option to change the 'f' from within '%fystemRoot%' to an 'S' to become '&SystemRoot%' on both. Rescanned using MBAM again and all is well.

Thanks guys.