Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Acer Aspire t120e

• Please log in to reply

hellsbells1978

hellsbells1978

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, My in-laws have a Acer aspire T120E computer which they let their grandkids play on and it has died. The computer wouldn't start at all, so I went to go through the recovery disks, but their cd drive was broken . So I brought it home and hooked it up to my cd drive for now. I enter Disk one and it works ok, then it asks me to enter disk 2. When I do this I get an error message saying usage error 11030. Then it tells me to enter disk one again and we keep going round and round and round in circles

Any ideas? any help? please, I am pulling my hair out here!!

Thanks Hells xx

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

<snip>... and it has died

What exactly does this mean? Can it not even power up? Can you not start in Safe mode? (tap F8 as you power up the computer). If the computer is "dead", how are you able to attempt loading the recovery CDs?

hellsbells1978

hellsbells1978

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I say died I mean it won't boot up in any mode. All it does is go to a black page with a lot of writing, and at the bottom it says please insert system cd

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The black page with writing is the bios information. If you're seeing this, then 1) the computer isn't totally dead, 2) the bios can't find anything to boot to.

It sounds like the hard drive crashed and bios can't detect it to boot to it. Do you hear any clicking sounds coming from the hard drive when you turn the computer on and try to start up? If you hear incesant clicking then the drive is probably bad. It could also be something deeper related to the motherboard, cables, etc. The first thing I would try is reseating the hard drive cables... and if the CDROM is also on the same cable, reseat that too. It might just be a bad cable if both the CDROM and harddrive is on the same one... seeing as there appears to also be a problem with the CDROM drive.

hellsbells1978

hellsbells1978

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I followed your advice and found that the hard drive cable wasn't clicked in properly, so I clicked it in and everything is working now, thanks a lot. Just in the middle of the recovery process at the moment :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're welcome! I'm glad it wasn't a bad drive.

Good luck with the recovery! :)