Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive reading full

• Please log in to reply

mspepsi

mspepsi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please help!!! I have purchased an external drive and moved the majority of my programs to this drive, there is no reason for the drive to be full. I have cleaned the internet temporary file folder through c:documents and settings: user: temporary internet files. Now running Space Monger to see what it picks up. Any suggestions for what else needs to be done. Space monger is showing a lot of files in tempory internet files that i am unable to find going through the C drive. Nothing will run, and i cant compress or degrag due to lack of space.

Advertisements

GMCS

GMCS

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Please help!!! I have purchased an external drive and moved the majority of my programs to this drive, there is no reason for the drive to be full. I have cleaned the internet temporary file folder through c:documents and settings: user: temporary internet files. Now running Space Monger to see what it picks up. Any suggestions for what else needs to be done. Space monger is showing a lot of files in tempory internet files that i am unable to find going through the C:\ drive. Nothing will run, and i cant compress or degrag due to lack of space.

It is unclear which drive you are having the problem with. Are you talking about the new external hard drive as being full? Or are you referring to the internal hard drive containing the operating system, applications and data as being full.
This may be a slip up in wording but did you really "move the majority of my programs" to the external drive? Or did you mean to say 'moved my data files'. And by 'move' did you do a copy/paste or cut/paste or use a backup program?
If the C:\ drive is full open the Run dialog box and type in "%temp%" (without the quotes), then delete all files and folders shown. That may free up enough to start working with the drive again.

mspepsi

mspepsi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm sorry if I wasnt clear, it is the C drive that is reading as full. I bought the external drive to free up space, deleted which programs I could, and added them to the external drive. I pretty much deleted most of the data files (word, excel, powerpoint files) And cleaned the temp files as suggested which only freed up about 1.25 gb of space. thanks for your help

GMCS

GMCS

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Download and run CCleaner from this site. Run it for all user accounts. It may find a lot more to remove.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do NOT run CCleaner unless you know what you're doing.

If the drive is showing up as full, then you have more data on there than you think you have. Do you have music, videos, photos on the resident drive?