Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP fatal error - registry can't update

• Please log in to reply

mike98926

mike98926

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello All,

My wife's 45 year old Gateway Notebook refused to boot up to Windows XP Home Edition today. We tried to recover to a previous date but that did not work. Now it refuses to even give that option and simply says Fatal Error - Cannot update Registry.

Now the kicker is that the Notebook was purchased at Best Buy and the Windows XP had to be installed after purchase by going to a website and downloading it. Of course she did not make back-up copies.

Gateway now tells me we need to purchase a new Windows XP but my argument is that it came with the original machine (albeit via a download rather than a disk) and we should be able to re-download to fix the problem. So far they are not buying that.

1. Any thoughts on how to re-load XP if I cannot even get it to boot up?

2. What would happen if I re-loaded the XP that came with my Dell desktop?

Thanks.

MIke

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A 45 year old Notebook? Did they have laptops in 1964? :)
I presume you mean 4 to 5 years old.

XP is not available for download, nor has it ever been. So where you got that from is more likely, though you probably didn't realise at the time, a dodgy/cracked copy.
If the laptop has an XP sticker on the bottom of it, you can reload it with an XP disk.

Regarding question 2, it won't let you as the disk will only work on Dell machines.