Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Router Help Needed! Please help!

• Please log in to reply

volcomssj48

volcomssj48

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
First of all, Hello, and thanks for your time...

Anyway, straight to the point:

Okay, so I have this Linksys 54G Router, the WRT54G.

On my laptop, I have a WLI-CB-G54A, which is a Buffalo Technology Wireless-G card for laptops. Here's the page with it's info.

Well, my problem is that every few minutes, the connection would disconnect itself, and reconnect moments later. This happens even if the signal level is high.

But, this only happens when there is 1 or more person using the Internet from either of my 2 wired computers.

The laptop is the only one that has that problem. Both of my wired computers don't have that problem, they can work on the Internet simultaneaously.

My question is that is it because it is wireless that it has this problem?

Is there a solution?

Is this a compatibility issue between my OS's?
laptop=XP Pro SP1
Computer 1=XP Home SP1
Computer 2=XP Pro SP2

Or is it a compatibility issue with Buffalo and Linksys?

If you know what this is caused by, or even the solution to it, please help out and post. It is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello volcomssj48,
This might be caused by exceeding the TCP limit.
Goto Control Panel, select Performance and Maintenance, and then Administrative Tools. Now, open 'Event Viewer', and then click on 'System'. You should now see a list; in that List do you see 'Type: Warning', 'Source: tcpip', and 'Event: 4226'(see attachment)? If you do, then download and run this patch (download the English version). Once it is completed, Windows may warn you that the change has been made and will ask you for your XP Disk. What it wants to do is return Tcpip.sys back to the SP2 setting...do not approve the change.
Restart your computer.

Did this help?

Attached Thumbnails

• EventViewerWarnings.png

Edited by Dan G, 15 May 2005 - 05:13 AM.

volcomssj48

volcomssj48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello Dan,

Thanks for the post, but it is the laptop that I am having problems on, and its SP1, not SP2.

Before I get started, will this difference somehow mess things up?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
You should be running this patch on your SP2 computers. However, first of all you should check your Event List to see if this is actually the problem. If you are not having that specific error, then the patch will be useless to you.
Windows XP SP2 limits half-open connections (SYN) to a maximum of 10 (the previous limit was over 65,000). This is supposed to slow down certain viruses because their spreading strategy is to try to connect to a high amount of random IP numbers.
The drawback with this connection limit is that other legitimate network intensive applications can be slowed down as well. Applications like security network scanners, peer-to-peer (P2P) applications or a combination of network applications that a power user may be using (VPN, FTP, p2p, RDP, SSH, "Firefox on steroids" and more), or even if you're playing an online Game.
The fact that you only get disconnected when the other two computers are also running would suggest that you only get disconnected because your Network is exceeding it's TCP/IP connection limit - and thus resulting in a temporary desync of your entire network.

volcomssj48

volcomssj48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hmm...

I'm not getting the error messages you are getting, but I took some screenshots at random places in the list. The most common "Error" problems I saw was the NetBT and Service Control Manager

The only TCPIP ones I saw were "Information" one that tell me that it had connected to the network.

The images are on Imageshack since it says there is a limit to how much KB can be on a post.

LIST:
http://img269.echo.c...466/list2jo.jpg

NetBT Error:
http://img269.echo.c...tbterror4oj.jpg

Service Control Manager Error:
http://img269.echo.c...lmanager3sq.jpg

Tcpip Information Window:
http://img269.echo.c...ipwindow4st.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

back2killah

back2killah

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
In the NetBT screenshot, there's a bubble in the systray that says one or more networks are available. Perhaps your machine is picking up more than one wireless network (neighbors).

It seems more like a wireless issue than software (service pack).

[Side note:]
The Service Control screenshot shows that you've been cleaning up BargainBuddy recently, haha. You may want to clean that entry out of your registry's HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. Perhaps someone else can verify that step as I am not one to advocate registry edits that I haven't really looked into.