Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

capturing search results

• Please log in to reply

Basty

Basty

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
How could I capture in editable format, the entire results of a search in WinXP, which may be several screens long ? Most convenient would be a spread sheet, since the results are in tabular form.

Edited by Basty, 05 October 2009 - 02:40 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
like a file search? what are you trying to achieve with this exactly?

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I did a 'fast reply' but it did not get posted ! Or I did not see it when I re-opened this thread ! This is what I posted :
Yes, a file search.

I have files in many folders (and subfolders). There may well be duplicates, (which I want to delete) but SOME of their file details could be different.
I can get a list of ALL files by doing a search on *.* in the 'master' folder. If I could transfer that result to a spreadsheet, then I could divide the listed items up into such batches as I choose and re-arrange the columns at will to enable REsorting on various criteria, that may reveal where the duplication occurs. I know that Excel gives me total flexibility in dividing and sorting data, which Search lacks.

I KNOW there is a prgogram called Windows Search v4, which I disabled because I found it less user-friendly than the Search Companion. Does Windows Search v4 have result-capture facility ? I could not find it myself.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not sure...on the last question there...

i've got a lot of methods for you to get file names and such out into an excel readable format...but i'm assuming you want all the file properties as well (like changed date and file size)

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Correct
I want ALL the file details.
The entire table.

By the way, such a display does not merely result from a SEARCH.
The display of any folder contents has the same format. SURELY that is savable/capturable