Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install Sata Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

zz66

zz66

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi
I will briefly decribe what I was planning to do:

This going to be a bit longer.... First of all, I was having trouble with my nine year old EIDE drive and all sorts of error reports. This drive had both my OS's(twice XP pro).It was going to fail.I bought an Sata HD with an external USB case. I connected it and it was shown properly, though there was an instant error message (the drive letter E: is unavailable....etc)a few secs later the drive appeared in my computer. Now since the drive was very large [1.500 Gb] I partioned it using partition magic.Since I was planning to install XP on two of these partitions, I created two primary partitions and 4 logical partitions.After that I moved all my important files from the near damaged IDE drive to the new Sata drive.I already had an 400Gb sata drive installed and in good condition, but it was totally full.So my plan was to take out that 400 Gb sata drive and exchange it with the newly bought 1500 Gb sata drive.The 400 Gb Sata was supposed to move into the external USB HD case.After moving all the files, I rebooted but my old XP sp2 wouldn't start again.I unplugged the USB external case, but still it wouldn't start - there was some kind of stop error, but I don't know what exactly is the reason. Anyway, I got another XP with servicepack3 and I booted into that one.After startup, I connected the External drive, and though it was shown (as generic drive) its partioned volumes where shown each with a red questionmark on them.The hardware wizard would try again and and again to install the new hardware, but it always stopped with the following error message: An error occured during the installation of the device....The system could not find the file specified At this point I took out the new Sata drive from the external case and build it into my PC by connecting it to where the other Sata drive was connected.After reboot only the old EIDE drive was shown.Device manager shows a yellow exclamation mark on VIA SATA RAID CONTROLLER

OK, sorry for the long intro. This is what I tried. I reinstalled the VIA SATA RAID CONTROLLER. Yet, still the Hardware wizard starts up after every reboot. The new drive is also not shown.There is a brief window, that says that another user is logged in and another instance of Raid is already running.If I let the hardware wizard continue, it always hangs up with this error:An error occured during the installation of the device. The system could not find the file specifiedI don't know about BIOS settings and jumpers ....etc. But I don't understand why it doesn't work when connected to where my old SATA drive was connected to.Anyone can help me please? Thanks in advance! :)

Additional info.
Old Sata Drive is Samsung HD400LJ (400Gb)
New Sata Drive is Samsung HD154UI (1500Gb)
Mainboard is: Asrock AV29f

Edited by zz66, 06 October 2009 - 03:20 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I'm all confused... actually too much data! :)

I think I got it all, but lets start all over anyways...

From the sounds of it, your OS is located on a single harddrive and you have a 400gb slave drive... is this correct? (lets forget about the 1.5TB for now)

If it is, then you can't be running any kind of raid setup.

If this is true, then you don't have to install any raid drivers.

When exactly did you install the Via Raid Controller? Were you in a bios setup, during the XP setup, or were you in Windows?

zz66

zz66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep, sorry for too much data. Its confusing myself now that I read it again.
I have tried to install via raid controller in windows. This always worked for my other 400Gb Sata drive after a fresh windows install. Meanwhile I have disconnected the 400Gb Sata. In its place is the the 1.5Tb Disc.Its not working though, its not shown in bios as well as windows.Only my old maxtor EIDE disc is shown in sevice manager.Cheers for helping. :)
Posted Image

Edited by zz66, 06 October 2009 - 03:12 AM.

zz66

zz66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update: I reconnected my 400Gb Sata drive and there are no errors. The 1.5 Tb Sata works in its external USB case.(For some reason it does work now - there have been problems when I first connected it] Still, I wonder why I can't make it work as an internal drive? Why does the other one work and this one not?

Edited by zz66, 06 October 2009 - 08:01 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Update: I reconnected my 400Gb Sata drive and there are no errors. The 1.5 Tb Sata works in its external USB case.(For some reason it does work now - there have been problems when I first connected it] Still, I wonder why I can't make it work as an internal drive? Why does the other one work and this one not?

No idea really. Maybe a vendor thing. Who makes the 1.5TB drive? Model number?

zz66

zz66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Who makes the 1.5TB drive? Model number?

Samsung HD154UI bought from this vendor with the same external case: http://cgi.ebay.de/E...id=p3286.c0.m14 (Sorry, its in German)

It works in USB mode but not internal.This is driving me nuts.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It might have some boot code on it. You might try formatting it in a dos environment... not sure if Samsung has a dos type formatting utility. But, be aware that it might not work in the enclosure again. Did you happen to test the 400gb drive in the enclosure to see if "a drive that you know works in your computer" will work in it?

zz66

zz66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No I didn't try the 400gb drive in the enclosure yet. Not sure if I understand what 'formatting in a dos enviroment' means. I didn't format the 1.5 Tb drive. I just partitioned it (the drive was already formatted in NTFS). Whas that my mistake? Should I have formatted it first on my computer?

Edited by zz66, 08 October 2009 - 12:11 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Not sure if I understand what 'formatting in a dos environment' means.

This just means using the manufacture's formatting utility... which in the old days, was in dos. Nowadays, many manufactures have gotten rid of their dos drive utilities, however, in Samsung's case, they still use it. THIS is the Samsung page. I advise that if you use this, make sure you only have the 1.5TB drive installed in the computer... remove all other drives so you don't format the wrong one. The Samsung page indicates it's the Ontrack Disk Manager (the best!) and you can use floppies, or CDs.

By the way, I'm not 100% sure this is the problem, but normally if you install a new hard drive, you need to format it first. However, because the 1.5tb came to you in an enclosure, Samsung would of course format it to NTFS so it can be used right away... but, because it's an enclosure drive they may have also installed some kind of interfacing software which might be preventing you from using it as a stand-alone drive in your computer. The model of the drive, HD154UI, is the same drive you can buy stand-alone from places like Newegg, so it should work right off the bat and be recognized by your computer if you just bought it by itself. Of course, if this was the case, you would still need to format it before using it.

Let me know if you need help with partitioning/formatting using the utility.

zz66

zz66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
double post by accident

Edited by zz66, 08 October 2009 - 10:00 AM.

zz66

zz66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When I bought this drive, it was already formatted. It's going to be a while before I can report what happened - the 1.5TB drive is already packed with data and it took me three days to move stuff to there.There is no other place where I can move this now, because my EIDE drive is failing. It starts to make weird klick klack sounds. So while I can still boot, I am trying to move as much personal data to the 1.5.Its going to be a while before I try formatting.
May I ask you an unrelated question?

I mentioned earlier that I have two internal drives: One EIDE (failing) and one Sata 400GB drive.I need a working OS. My current OS is on the failing drive.
My question: Can I defrag/compact the 400Gb drive and then create a tiny 10Gb partition for an OS on it? I mean without moving all data away from the 400Gb Sata drive - just creating the partition in the free space at the right end? Or will it delete everything on that drive?I am planing to use powerquest partition magic 8. Sorry if this was off topic but I have to know. Thanks for your help btw

Edited by zz66, 08 October 2009 - 09:56 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

May I ask you an unrelated question?

NO! :)

hehe... :)

Partition magic should be able to create a partition for the OS without wiping the data on the disk. It should just take drive space from the unused portion of the drive and allocate it to the one you create. One caution… sometimes Partition magic can cough, so you always take your chances. If you can move the data off the 400gb drive, it’s highly recommended before messing with re-partitioning. Personally, I’ve never seen Partition Magic fail all the years I’ve been using it… except on a dual boot systems where it screwed up the MBR.

What kind of hard drive is the EIDE? Seagate (Maxtor), and WD are now using Acronis for their disk manager… others may be also. This is a free version and besides it being the disc manager for partitioning and such, it can also create an image of your C drive which you can then use to reimage the partition you create on the 400gb Sata to move your OS. Very useful. I use the full version of Acronis and it works very well, and reviewing the free version a few weeks ago, it appears very similar.