Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for a UPS

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay, as the title states, I am looking for a UPS.

Well 2 to be exact.
It will need to do the following,
The first one will need to last as long as possible on battery incase of long outages
The components needing to be on it.
1 Cable Modem
1 Router & Telephone.

The second one is preferred to be on as long as possible since it has a lot of draw
1 32" LCD TV
1 17" Mag Innovision Monitor
1 Computer with 1000watt PSU

The second one just needs to last atleast long enough for me save my files and shutdown the computer. But the first one needs to be able to run as long as possible since it will be keeping my telephone line active since I have VOIP and we may need to use the phone for emergencies when we don't have power.

I have never used a UPS before but I want to start, so Some of the things, er well all the things about them I dont know.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
As long as possible is quite open as long as there is no budget. With enough money, you could go for weeks :-).

Software comes with most UPS systems which will automatically shutdown your system based on the parameters you select (right away or wait until the battery is down to a certain level).

I personally like APC, specifically the SmartUPS as it puts out a true sine wave. You do not want a surge suppresser connected as it can fight with the UPS and greatly reduce the battery runtime.

I tend to like to find a UPS on freesharing, freecycle, craigslist or ebay. You might need to replace the batteries, but it tends to be a lot cheaper.

You might look at the 1000-1400VA. If you go much higher than that, you will need to have a higher current AC outlet. You can add additional batteries to some units, to increase the runtime.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Well my budget for them is between 600 max on it. Any suggestions?

maddgamer

maddgamer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

When I bought my UPS I figured out how much voltage was being used by the computer and bought a UPS that exceeded that figure. UPS's are one of those items that you do not want to scrimp on. Buy the best you can afford and make sure there are plugs for the monitor, computer, and any device you want protected. Most have connections for your internet connection as well as one for a phone (depending on price).
It is to me a bad idea to try to create a UPS that will allow you to do more than save and shutdown. One last thing is to make sure the UPS protects against power surges and brown outs. I live in the country and mine has saved my custom built systemmany times from these two types of problems.

Maddgamer

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

$600 US?

That is more than enough to get two used APC 1000VA SmartUPS and new batteries. You can also get a new APC BackUPS. Check out ebay. There are some which are slightly larger as well, just watch out for shipping charges. It is best to find one that is local to you. Craigslist is something to check.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
APC (my preferred brand as well) has a UPS Selector tool that will help you calculate what UPS to get based on your needs

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
My selection process is to find a cheap one which is around 1000VA or above. You can get away with a smaller unit, but often businesses get rid of those and so you can pick them up cheap. I have one that I bought for $18 and I have not had to replace the batteries yet. Two others I have had to replace the batteries, including one which I bought brand new :-(.