Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New build, bad score...

• Please log in to reply

sandshancock

sandshancock

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just built a new system over the weekend. Here are some of the specs:

- MSI X58M Socket 1366 X58 mATX Motherboard
- Intel I7 920 processor
- 12 GB DDR3 Dual-Channel Ram
- 500 GB SATA HDD
- GeForce 9500 GT 1024MB DDR2 PCIe 2.0 Graphics Card

All of my Windows Experience Subscores are 5.9, with the exception of Graphics. It is a 4.1. This seems quite low to me. I know that the 9500 isn't a top of the line card, but it seems like it should be better than a 4.1. Could there be something else going on that is hurting my score?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 9500GT with DDR2 memory will get a lower score on the basis the card is cheap. Other users with the same card get scores in the same area so your 4.1 isn't unexpected.

Realistically you do get what you pay for. You have a great board, a cool processor, ridiculously high amount of memory and a really fast hard drive. May I ask why you went for a 9500GT, a budget card, with a setup like that?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi and welcome :)

Seriously, your system should be running nice and quick - not including high-resolution 3D gaming, of course. As long as the system is running fine, there's no need to worry about your Experience Index being low like that - it's just helping you determine that your graphics card is a low-end part compared to everything else.

Cheers

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I used a Q9400, Rampage Extreme, and 4GB Ballistix Tracers and all my parts have a subscore of 6.9 and base score of 6.9.
I also have a 4870.

I have to say that your score is a little weird, but it really doesn't show real world performance.
Your computer is good for photo editing b/c of the massive amount of RAM, but not really for 3D gaming.

What is the make/model of your HDD?