Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving to Ireland...well, it depends

• Please log in to reply

dinotech

dinotech

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
We have discussed the idea of moving to Ireland.

She had cancer in 1995, and it has been cleared, but her Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue has become a problem. She loves Ireland, and is glued to the QVC channel when Belliek (sp?) is on (her favorite coffee cup is a Belliek cup. She loves the Ireland sweaters, and she expressed an interest in living there.

Could those of you who have lived there - whether you are native or have moved from the States - give me an idea of what it is like?

She loves to garden, wants a dog, and we have four cats!

This would be the ultimate goal for her!

Thanks

Dino

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Come to Australia. :)

dinotech

dinotech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
My Mom can't take heat and she likes her trees, green grass, etc. If you have a place in Aus that covers those requirements, we'll take a look!

D

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
It’s cold most of the time, can rain quite a lot, but that does make some parts of it very, very pretty. It all depends where abouts in Ireland she wants to live though, it's not all quaint little villages with thatched roofs.

It is also quite expensive at the minute compared to the UK due to the collapse of the "Celtic Tiger". Many people in the border areas are travelling to Northern Ireland to take advantage of the Sterling rate, unemployment is recently up as high as 18%.

That being said though, I love Ireland, (I live in Northern Ireland), there are some spectacular sights to see and the people are more often than not very, very friendly, but you would have to have more of a reason than loving Belleek to move here.

If you had some specifics about location then we may be able to help more.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
chamber summed it up well.

I am from Dublin myself, I love the place and really wouldn't swap it for anywhere else, have done my fair share of traveling as well. We get a load of American tourists during the summer, they all seem to love Dublin and Galway. There is a great buzz around Dublin most of the year.

If it was me, I would go and visit Ireland for a few weeks and see how you enjoy it before committing to anything. The good thing about here is you can travel easily to pretty much all parts of Ireland, so you could check out all the areas you are thinking of possibly living in ( Dublin, Galway, Belfast, where ever takes your fancy ).

If you got any questions feel free to ask, may be easier for us.

dinotech

dinotech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Okay, we need to get to Ireland. What we don't know is how much it would really cost to stay a couple of weeks? Or should we stay longer?

Are there any decent group packages - like tour groups - where we can spend a specific amount of money? I could Google search, but I don't want to get sites that are nefarious.

Thanks for your help!

Dino

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Tasmania sounds like it fits your bill - I'd like to move there myself away from the Queensland heat.

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
You could get in touch with Tourism Ireland. They might be able to help you.