Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop screen stays black when powered on

• Please log in to reply

Ididntbreakit

Ididntbreakit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, I tried the f8-f12 button when powering on, nothing happens. It was doing a health check update when it froze so I powered off it gave me a warning that I would lose some data but the dummy I am, okayed it!!!! While it was shutting down the fan came on and stayed on for about a hour when it finally shut down. Now it starts but no screen?? I even tried another monitor and it showed nothing. I switched the memory card slots and nothing, still the same thing happens. Maybe its broke now??? :)

Advertisements

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
What make and model laptop do you have? When you start it up, do you hear anything from it besides the fan? And how long ago did you buy your laptop?

Alexander_bird

Alexander_bird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have seen a number of these posts on this sight so I fugured that I would add a thought. I have no idea if this will work with your machine but - I had this same problem with a new HP and discovered that it was a problem w/ the hibernate settings. The fix from HP (can you believe they sell machines with this type of known issue)was to pull the battery and then hold the power button for at least 30 seconds (Completely dumps all power from the system to restart from scratch) and then reboot. Last was to turn off the hibernate feature under the screan saver power settings.

Good Luck