Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

failure to install automatic updates - windows xp

• Please log in to reply

BlueGreenOne

BlueGreenOne

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
hi geeks to go

i have been unable to install updates from windows for sometime now. the error message i get when i try to install the automatic updates is:

the following updates were not installed:
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB973923)
Update for Outlook 2003 (KB943649)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB921598)
Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB945185)
Security Update for Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (KB943973)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB945432)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB953404)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB954464)
Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB973515)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB954478)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB955466)
Update for Office 2003 (KB907417)
Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB953432)

what can i do?

thanks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you install updates other then in the list or do all updates fail to install.

Beware of SP-3 for Microsoft Office 2003. It caused lots of problems, some could only be rectified with clear format (removing and reinstalling Office does not help). I am not sure if the problems are universal or in the Hebrew (my language) edition. For more information look at this.

BlueGreenOne

BlueGreenOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
As far as I know I am unable to install any updates from microsoft. There have been 13 or 14 updates which I have attempted to install over the last 12 months without success.

Hopefully I am still protected from viruses by the antivirus software which is up to date.

Would you suggest a clear format and how do I do that?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Dial-A-Fix from my list below. Run the program and check Fix Windows Updates. A number of boxes will be checked at the same time. Click Go, let the program run and check if you can update.

BlueGreenOne

BlueGreenOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
hi skeptic

i downloaded dial-a-fix and ran it twice, with the Fix Window Updates box checked. the first time it ran it seemed to freeze halfway through so i clicked Cancel and restarted the scan which seemed to complete okay.

i then went to the Windows update website and it identified the same 14 updates required. these failed to install.

any ideas?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can try the following:

1: Go to any of Office programs (word, for example) and click Help > identification and repair (I am not sure about the exact terms in English). Run a repair of Office. You will probably need the Office installation CD.

2: Uninstall and reinstall Office. This will not harm stored documents.

Regarding myself (if that is of any interest) I never download and install Office updates. I just don't feel that I need them.

BlueGreenOne

BlueGreenOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
hi skeptic

i followed your suggestion and went into Word, help, detect and repair.

i was given the error message:
"the windows installer service could not be accessed. this can occur if you are running windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed. contact your support personnel for assistance."

I will attempt to uninstall and re-install office using the CD.

If you don't install the updates, doesn't that leave your computer vulnerable to viruses?

thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The updates you mentioned are for Office. I don't know of any particiular infection that can be caused by not updating Office. I am not a malware expert but what I know for sure is that SP-3 for office caused lots of problems. I just had a computer which I formatted twice in three weeks because of SP-3. I cancelled all automatic updates and informed the owner.