Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

First Build. Help!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, Everyone!
I have decided that I need to build a new computer, as my old P4 gateway is starting to show its age. For fun and a better price/performance ratio, I want to build this machine, rather that buying. I would like to jump up to i5/i7. These are the parts that I am looking at right now:

-i7 920/i5 750/i7 860
-Asrock x58 extreme/ decent p55 mobo
-6gb/4gb ram kit with decent reviews.
-gtx 260 216/hd 4870/hd 4890/hd 5770 (when released)
-750+ watt power supply with good reviews
-1tb caviar black or 1tb spinpoint f1
-haf 922/storm scout/thermaltake element g
-scythe mugen 2/tuniq tower 120 extreme
-decent dvd burner (1 or 2?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

System info: 2.4ghz pentium 4, geforce 6200, 80gb hdd (some programs on external drive), 160w psu, 2gb ram

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Everything looks good!
Get a 5850 as I am not sure when the 5770 is going to come out. It is a very powerful card which can run all modern games extremely well.
You might also want to consider the Foxconn Bloodrage as many people have a crazy attraction to that board... it is inexpensive too.
Corsair 750W is a good PSU. I like Caviar Blacks.
HAF 922 or Antec 900... get one or the other. If you can afford it, get a HAF 932 or an Antec 1200.
The CPU cooler is up to you, but some others are Sunbeam's Core Contact Freezer and some here: http://www.frostytec...p5heatsinks.cfm