Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

Tiniman

Tiniman

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
When you update from say SP1 to SP2, can you add/remove older versions(sp1?)? I ask because I was cleaning out old programs from my computer and trying to clean it up, was bothered by the list of updates.

Edited by Tiniman, 05 October 2009 - 09:23 PM.

Advertisements

GMCS

GMCS

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
It is possible to remove service packs through Add/Remove Programs. I don't think you can selectively remove SP1 and keep SP2 installed. Since the Service Packs are cumulative, you could remove both service packs and then re-install SP2 only.

Tiniman

Tiniman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Can't find it now of course.. but example in add/remove

Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2

GMCS

GMCS

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
PAYOR! (Proceed At Your Own Risk)
I do not think you are going to gain any functionality by trying to reduce the 'bothersome' list of updates. The risk of breaking something may be greater than any clean up gain.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Can't find it now of course.. but example in add/remove

Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2

you want to leave those alone...
exactly what are you trying to accomplish

Tiniman

Tiniman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Was just cleaning out old programs and "cleaning up" didn't know if they could be removed or not. Was asking before doing.

GMCS

GMCS

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Always good to be cautious when removing system related programs. I cannot remember how many things I have broken by trying to make them better. :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
$NTUninstall folders are created when you install a Microsoft Service Pack, a hotfix, or certain security updates....so if your system has been rebooted several times and everything is working correctly you can remove the $NTUninstall folders...while it is ok to remove these but if you do you will lose the ability to uninstall the patches ...
so if your not REALLY hurting for free space on your system drive just leave them alone...

as you can see by the screenshot I have removed them all but the last 2..