Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't come out of sleep mode

• Please log in to reply

defconv2000

defconv2000

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My PC (dell) went into sleep mode as usual when not being used for a while. When I went to move the mouse to wake it, the screen stayed blank. I typed on the keys and moved the mouse again, but to no avail. I thought maybe the monitor was shut off so I pushed a button on it. The screen brought up a message that said "In sleep mode, move mouse or press a key."

I decided to shut the machine down by holding in the power button until it shut off. I waited for a moment and then tried to turn it back on, but it wouldn't boot up or even make the normal noises. The green power light on the power button comes on, but nothing else. The screen still give me the same sleep mode message.

Is it time to buy a new PC or is there some other possible solution? I was going to open the machine and see if I could see a burnt out chip, etc. This was suggested by a friend, but I have near zero experience with doing this. I will try as a last resort as I will buy a new PC anyway if I do any damage.

Any help would be much appreciated as funds are tight and buying a new one would cramp me a bit.

Thanks.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Are you certain the computer went into sleep mode and not hibernation? From the sound of it, can you still not boot your computer. If so, pull the plug and wait awhile, then try restarting.

I'm assuming, form your description, that this is a desktop pc. What kind of dell is this... model number???

defconv2000

defconv2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I unplugged the entire system and waited for about 10 minutes. I still have the same problem. The monitor says "Computer is is sleep mode, move the mouse or press any key."

I am at work now, but I will get the model number for you tomorrow. It is a desktop.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Seems weird that the monitor gives the same status even after a total shutdown. Did you unplug the monitor too? Maybe it only "thinks" the computer is sleeping.

You might also try to remove the bios battery on the motherboard for a minute or two to hard reset the bios. Be sure to unplug the AC power before doing this. (Sorry I had to mention that... you just never know the tech ability of the people you're dealing with in a forum! :) )

defconv2000

defconv2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks for the unplug reminder as well. I've been known to do rather dumb things.

One last question, how would I identity the bios battery on the motherboard?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

One last question, how would I identity the bios battery on the motherboard?

The bios battery looks like a large button battery... like used in electric watches. I was going to post a photo, but didn't have time... just search google images for "bios battery" and you'll get a ton of pictures.

A few cautions...
Be sure to ground yourself with either a static safe strap, or at least touch somewhere on a bare metal part of the computer case to discharge any static electricity in your body before working on the inside of the compouter.... also be sure to disconnect the AC plug.

Before removing the bios battery, take a look at it to determine it's polarity. Normally, the positive side is up and so you should see a "+" sign on the battery. In any case take a look so you know how to put it back in. Also, be careful not to be too rough when removing the battery... people have been known to break the battery holder/hardware and that would be a big problem.

defconv2000

defconv2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Makai,

Thanks for all of your help. It ended up being a bad memory module. Once I replaced them, everything worked fine.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok. Glad you got it going! :)