Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disc drive problem

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
My disc drive just packed up. When ever I put a CD in the drive my computer nothing happens as if the CD is not being read. When I click "my computer" and click on the CD in "my computer" windows explorer crashes and I get the dreaded "blue screen of death". I can here movement in the disc drive and but it is not reconising what is on the CD for some reason.

Can I fix this with out buying a new one ?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it doesn't read anything at all the lasers are probably dead.
You can verify this by putting a bootable CD in the computer (any Windows CD will do), telling the computer to boot off CD and if the laser is good, the machine will boot off the disk. If the laser's toast, the machine will just boot off the hard drive again.

The lasers aren't user serviceable so a new drive is the cheapest solution if the lasers are dead.