Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Will a widescreen monitor work on old laptop?

• Please log in to reply

davelee_myrtle

davelee_myrtle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I have an older Dell laptop inspiron 5100 with xp, 1 g ram, 160 gb memory, radeon 7500c that has screen resolutions of 800x600 & 1024x768. I would like to have a dual monitor setup and am wondering if I can use a widescreen monitor. I hooked a widescreen up to it briefly before but everything was stretched out. I didn't have much time to try to rectify it at the time, but what I did try didn't work. So before I buy a monitor I would like to know if I can use a widescreen monitor(which is all I see for sale anymore) or do I need to purchase a square one. Thanks!!!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It all depends. I have friends who use Thinkpad T41's with 24" widescreen monitors with the same video card (Ati 7500). They first had to update the video driver to enable the higher resolution. However, these monitors are used via a DVI port on a docking station so I don't know how it'll work via standard VGA on your Dell. What you could try is updating your video driver to the latest Catalyst drivers, take the laptop to a Best Buy and see if they'll let you hook it up to test. If they want to sell a monitor, they may allow it. Worth a try.

davelee_myrtle

davelee_myrtle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I'll try that and post the results

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
ok!