Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to delete an Oper Sys

• Please log in to reply

pityme

pityme

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have XP Pro Oper Sys I use on my C: drive. But I cannot locate the one I don't use in Windows Exployer. Plz help.

Advertisements

GMCS

GMCS

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
If you have two XP installs on the same partition, a so called parallel installation, then that should be listed in the Boot.ini file. You should be getting a BIOS screen asking you which operating system you wish to boot into. The default folder where the installation files are copied is C:\Windows. You would have to specify (rename) a different folder for the second install, such as C:\Windows2. From Explorer you should be able to view both folders. You should be able to delete the folder that you are not logged in to at the time. Goooooooood luck and be sure to back up your files first!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To just help out please do the following steps and include the requested log for review.

Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.